Front Brakes

Started by BlurryVision, June 22, 2006, 02:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlurryVision

I noticed last year before putting my bike away for the winter that my front brake would occasionally lock up. I would bleed the system and it would be ok for a while, but nevertheless within a few days it would happen again. When it isn't locked, there is always a light drag or rub on the brake. When I would let off the throttle, the front end would sink down slightly. Anyone have a cure? or any advice? I was thinking about just replacing the whole brake and everything. What do you think could be the problem, and what could i do about it?

Lucky

either your brake fluid is contaminated and it's made one of the rubber seals expand enough that they don't retract properly, or the line has collapsed.  rebuild the caliper, master or line...ok, that wasn't helpfull...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

you could try.....

taking caliper off, take pads out, clean it good, clean and lube the carrier arms..... you might have gunk / old grease in the carrier. Those little boots give up after awhile.....

or....

take the master cylinder and caliper all the way down, clean with brake cleaner, flush with fluid, lube the carrier etc. then reassemble.. the master has tiny passages that may be clogged

or.... spend

$40 for a caliper kit
$15 for a master kit
and probably $60 for a braided line, if you like nice stuff.......

and reassemble
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Per

Hi!
Maybe it's the brake lever that needs adjusting. If it's to tight the front brake might drag (mine did). But if you haven't done all the other recommended fixes on the brakes, maybe it's time.
/Per

Extent

Don't ride it untill you get it fixed, if it's dragging you'll be generating a lot of heat, and you might warp your rotor.  That and your brakes locking up while riding is never a good thing.

I'ld start by putting in all new fluid, and inspect the caliper.

Checking the freeplay is a great idea as well, make sure there is freeplay on that lever.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

BlurryVision

Thanks for the tips all. I think will just tear everythign apart and clean it all. I'll let you know how everything turns out. Thanks again

louthepou

Hey Blurry,

If it's been many many years that the caliper's been overhauled, it's a good idea to do it.

I've done quite a few in the past few years, and it's not that hard. Take your time to clean all the metal parts (I used my demel with wire brush attachment for the grove where the o-ring sits, sealing the piston). Ue caliper grease for reassembly. Enjoy many years of trouble-free bracking after that.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

GAJim

I have a problem with my braked dragging when I am backing up the vision but rolls fine forward.  Any suggestions as to the cause?

JIm

Lucky

sounds like it's time to clean or rebuild the calipers check the master for dirt too, your return hole might be a bit clogged
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

BlurryVision

GAJim,

I have noticed that too on mine. When I first got the bike, I noticed that right away. Then I eventually noticed it while driving. In fact, I had ran into the bank one day and when I came out I went to drive away and my front break was locked. But on the way there it was fine. I dunno. I'm sure they haven't been cleaned for prolly 10 years. The previous onwner had it sitting for about 4 years when I bought it off of him.

Aaron

louthepou

The sliders in the caliper require, after many years, a good cleaning, fresh caliper grease, and good shape dust boots.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Kevin

BMW recommends you flush the brake system yearly. When the fluid turns dark it has moisture in it. It will make a difference in the brake operation.Kevin C.