News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

it was running and now its not

Started by rockinjer, April 07, 2011, 11:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinjer

ok so i got this engine running like a champ anr revs great and idles on the parts bike frame, so i put this engine on my main bike and its running like crap now, all boggy and stuff, wont idle now and i have to keep it running. any ideas? here is before again http://youtu.be/rkaJc0dIOs4
1982 XZ550

Re-Vision

What's different? Same fuel, battery? Did you check all vacuum hoses on the engine? Were carbs tightened up before you moved it?     BDC

rockinjer

when it was running good, carbs were not tight on the 2 rubber connections, also it had old spark plugs before, i left the carbs on while i swapped the engine and i had them plugged with rags, after i got it in place on my main bike i put new spark plugs on it before trying to start it, i noticed that the front cylinder was way more hot than the rear. could my exhaust pipes be plugged? or is it the tci unit? ill just start swapping things off the parts bike till it runs like it did.
1982 XZ550

Lucky

had this exact thing happen on Kitty's Vision, turned out a feed port in one of the carbs was plugged.  it hadn't sat that long, but i guess it was enough, & maybe some bit of dirt in the carb got jared loose & clogged the port while it was getting swapped...

just because it was ok before, don't cross it off your list now because it really sounds like a carb problem......

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

Quote from: rockinjer on April 08, 2011, 12:11:13 AM
...i noticed that the front cylinder was way more hot than the rear.

Quote from: Lucky on April 08, 2011, 12:55:02 AM
...it really sounds like a carb problem......Lucky

:) DITTO!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

rockinjer

thanks, the carbs will be high on my list of things to do now, im glad i have you guys to steer me in the right direction, after all this is my first engine removal and carb cleaning experience. ill post back tonight and tell you what i found :)
1982 XZ550

YellowJacket!

If you are still running the original plug wires that could be part of the problem too.  Just thinking this since you mentioned that you changed the plugs.

Tiger makes an awesome set of replacement plug wires and caps if you need a set.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rikugun

In addition to what YellowJacket said, I'm guessing it was running on different coils in the parts bike and now on coils from your main bike.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

rockinjer

can someone post some pics of how the carb's hoses connects to the carburetor joints on the motor, i am confused at where they go because they are different on my 2 bikes, some are plugged and some aren't, plus I'm confused when looking at the repair manual i think this is a typo
1982 XZ550

Rikugun

I don't have any pics to post - maybe tomorrow if no one else has any but in the meanwhile, it appears the front/rear labels are reversed if that helps.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

rockinjer

1982 XZ550

rockinjer

I got it running good again, i swapped all the electronic components off of my parts bike and it didnt seem to help. I think it might have been the battery because it would not charge and i have to use jumper cables to a truck and it would not run correctly for example i disconnected all mufflers and pipes and the front cylinder had tons of air coming out and the rear had barley any and you could not hear it pop, but the thing is the rear plug did have spark when grounded to the frame, but i took the battery off to just have the jumper cables on it and it started running correct. i dont know for sure though if that was it, i tested the old battery and its bad. I have a new batter in hand and am going to go install it.

But just one question it only runs good when the choke is on and revs ok even when warm, if choke is off it will idle good also but will die if i try to rev it.

this is what i hav found from Re-Vision but what does this mean (Adj. front/rear carb. Idle Mixture Screws for highest Rpm's while) screw them in all the way?

1. Petcock to Prime
2. Adj. front/rear carb. Idle Mixture Screws for highest Rpm's while                                         keeping throttle Idle Adjustment adjusted for 1300 Rpm.
3. Block off YICS, Balance Front/Rear vacuum (Carb Synch) using home made manometer.
4. Re-Adjust front/rear Idle Mixture Screws for highest Rpm and then set both screws 1/8 to 1/4 turn CCW to assure slightly increased Air/Fuel mixture. Re-Adjust Idle Adjustment for 1300 Rpm.
5. Re-Conect YICS.
6. Petcock to On.
7. Go do wheelies.
1982 XZ550

rockinjer

i got my carb synced with the homemade sync tool, and i have it idleing and revving perfectly but it has a terrible stumble when riding, should i take off my yics? it doesn't appear to leak but when it gets hot it might leak. I haven't used it until i did the engine swap because i had clean carbs and thought i would try to start with how it was designed to work from the factory, both of my motors that i have acquired had the ports plugged for the yics. my yics came in a box with my first Vision.

do i need to adjust my pilot screws to make it more lean? if so does turning them clockwise make it more lean or rich?
1982 XZ550