Who knows why Yamaha does anything?

Started by Rob_OS23, April 14, 2005, 05:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob_OS23

Reading the post about cranks got me wondering.....
I askd previously what the differences between the 82 and 83's are, and got mostly cosmetic related answers.  What about engine, transmission, and all other internal, non-cosmetic things?  I guess my question is, what improvements did they make to the 83? What changes are there to the inernal components, and are they improvements, or just inexplicable changes?  Also, I've heard some talk of Euro gears?  what's up with them?  What makes them better?

kiawrench

83 has better brakes, better seat covers,better carbs , better wiring diagram , came with a fairing,better monoshock , (gee why didnt i buy an 83 ?) - and the euro gears dont make you faster, just lower your rpm band so that you can better use the power you do have .

with all of the tricks ,tips and parts we have as a group,, most will tell you , the hybrids are the ruling class,,, kept the good stuff, tweaked it all with the newer stuff,, and our bikes get us to work everyday , with relatively few problems .
   i guess all in all,, as long as it is a vision, - it has to be good !
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

ProfessorRex

Euro gears will give you a higher top speed, as well as lower your rpms at a given speed vs. the USA gears.

Remeber, our visions run out of gear at top speed(they hit redline, trust me!) not power.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

bmeyer6472

According to my Yamaha factory manual, the RJ (82) crank can't be used in an RK (83) engine, or "crankshaft seizure may occur". Unfortunately, Yamaha did not see fit to tell us why. ::)