cleaned my carb now i have high idle

Started by tt315, June 19, 2008, 01:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tt315

Hello,
   I have a question about my high idle i have since i cleaned by carb.  This was the first time i had ever taken a carb apart and cleaned it.  I dunked it in cleaner and blew air in it and all the passageways to clean it.  I carefully put it back together and now it idles at 7000.  I do not know why it is doing this.  I only cleaned the front one b/c i did not want to mess w/ the idle.  I suppose i have to take it apart again but could someone please help me understand what i did wrong.  Live and learn i guess.

thanks, taylor

h2olawyer

My guess is that you somehow got the throttle cable routed or installed wrong.  Does the throttle return fully to it's stop?  You need to check this at the carbs & not at the right handlebar.

While it is possible you did something while cleaning the carb, it is much more likely to be a hookup error someplace.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

tt315

funny you should mention that.  As i was taking it apart to clean again.  i said to myself i bet it is throttle cable.  When i am done i am going to have really clean carbs to say the least.  Hopefully tomorrow it runs correctly again

Lucky

also, did you do anything to the synq rod that joins the front & rear throttles on the left side of the bike? (82)  if so, this is a critical adjustment & needs to be reset.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

tt315

Good news the bike is running better then ever.  I had the cable routed wrong last time.  Thanks for the heads up on that.

h2olawyer

Easy to do the first (or second) time you remove the carbs.  There are lots of little things to remember about hooking them up after reinstallation.   ;D  By the fourth or fifth carb R&R, you'll be able to do it without much thought.  When I swapped sets the other night, it took a couple hours - but that included cleaning up the exterior of the carbs, cleaning the 83 airbox, cleaning & re-oiling the UNI filter and reassembling both bikes.  Foam filter oil is messy, gooey stuff.   ::)  Nitrile gloves & a ziplock bag make it tolerable, though.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.