News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Never put your keys in the accessory tray under the seat!

Started by YellowJacket!, August 04, 2009, 03:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Had a major Home moment today.  I had the seat up while working on the extra brake lights and had to take off the left side under seat plastic.  Hmmmm...methinks, the accessory tray looks like a nice safe place to rest my keys, so I took the key out of the lock and dropped it into the tray and while I was removing the plastic, KLUNK!  Down comes the seat.  Yup, locked my keys in my motorcycle.  On the stupidity scale, its somewhat in line with locking yourself INSIDE your car.
So, I ended up carefully bending back the front of the seat and shimming it with a block of wood as I carefully snaked my grabber in blindly until I snagged the key.  Whew.
I think I was just demoted to ROV Newbie!   :police:

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

That's a great D'Oh! moment!  I nearly did that myself once.  Since then, I open the seat lock & then put the key into the ignition to keep it out of the way.  I also have a spare key I keep in the house.  These bikes originally came with two keys, btw.

Thanks for the chuckle - at your expense.   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

GT @ oh.

Kevin

Oops! As a side note, the first thing I remove on a Vision is the manual seat lever.

funkamongus

Sounds like something I would do!! Glad it worked out for ya!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Kojo

That is kinda funny. I'll be sure not to put my keys there.

Also: On the subject of original keys, I have one that is oddly shaped. It looks like a hammer or something, the handle end is elongated and misshapen. It's marked "Yamaha" though. There's no duplicate.
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

Lucky

so far i've counted 3 seperate blanks for the 2 years..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Anything I ride or drive , I carry a spare key in my wallet. Lock my self out of my work truck way too many times! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

67GTO

This past winter I left my lights on and ran the battery down on my 2001 Olds van. A coworker
was coming to give me a jump. I was allready for him, hood up jumper cables ready to go, keys
in the ignition. As soon as the cables were connected to his truck all the doors locked! I found
out that all GM cars do this.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

kwells

my Jeep did this to me too.  Now I have one of those magnetic boxes you hide somewhere on the underside.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

67GTO

After my fun I now put a spare key behind the license plate. Just need a screwdriver to get it.
(it's a copy without the chip, but it does open the door)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV