News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Lets see some pics

Started by GT @ oh., May 23, 2007, 02:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelwulf

Finally a coupla pics.  Just got back from runnin' around town for three hours.  Couple of short stops but other'n that almost constant running in 85-90 degree temps in light to medium traffic without overheat worries. :)  I had a Mazda6 decide to race me.  I knew he'd probably be able to keep up but I could tell he was frustrated he wasn't getting ahead until I let 'im when we were doing 50 in a 40.  And that was with my inexperience and a not-so-smooth start (doesn't always land in first right when downshifting so I end up starting in second if I don't double-check it).

I know, it's missing a reflector.  Anyone have a spare? ;) And yes the right mirror is different, came with it (was the only one it came with actually). It works better than the stock on the left though since it's a bit higher and larger so I can actually see behind me.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

Actually, it looks pretty respectable.  Much better than many started out around here.  I may have a spare radiator shroud reflector.  Need to go through my parts to be sure.  I know I have the set that came off my (now) full fairing 82 but I want to keep them in case I ever decide to totally restore it to factory original.  May have used my spares on the Tractor.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Aelwulf

Yeah, moved 'em over the seat instead of under.  Took care of the low hanging problem but have concerns now about 'em being able to be lifted off the bike.  So I took a couple of bungees and used 'em to lash 'em to the bike.  Still not the most secure but least can't be picked up walking by and don't worry about 'em falling off.

*thunk*
What was that?!

inanecathode

you can route the strap in the front under the seat, the one in the rear under the tail piece, its how i do it

Night Vision

I think they seem kinda LARGE ....covering up the reflectors and running/brake light in the tail light piece is probably not an ideal thing..

maybe if you scooch them up the seat a little futher.....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Thats how i have mine, scootched up. I end up sitting on the forward strap and the front corners of the bags touch my legs.

Aelwulf

THey're over but they don't cover (least not last time I checked) as the back of 'em are higher than the front.  I tried having a bit further forward but besides bugging me against my leg all the time they sometimes prvented me from sitting my feet in the pegs properly/comfortably.

Before I had the both under the seat, they were further forward but low enough they didn't get in the way.  I'll see if they can fit the other way works.  Under the seat before I had the drooping problem, one going under the tail/over the fender (I presume you mean) seems like it'd be a bit loose and low.

If you think they're big there you should see 'em extended.  If I'm to ride it to work though I need decent-sized ones to hold my helmet and gear while I'm in the mountain, along with any paperwork I have to bring in.  I'm waiting getting money for a tank bag for the latter.

*thunk*
What was that?!

inanecathode

I still think you should make a bracket, then you could have them ride much lower without worrying about them hitting the exhaust/wheel. Help with the droop too.

Aelwulf

Yeah, I'm ok with general mechanics but tend to suck at the making end of things.  If I do so it'll have to wait until after the move anyway. :P

*thunk*
What was that?!

inanecathode

It's easy! Bend up a mock bracket with coat hanger, one strip in front, one in back. Get yourself some 1/8th inch steel strips, maybe an inch wide, and get bending :D stick some foam on it and theres your bracket :D