Started by Lucky, October 24, 2007, 05:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

Thats strange, it usually looks more like choclate milk. :P
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Quote from: Night Vision on October 26, 2007, 11:52:06 PM
that was after you ran it with the new oil and crankcase cleaner?

nope, that was what was in it when i picked it up. keep in mind i couldn't see the level in the window, (i live dangerously) but it was dark.  Also keep in mind that there were no carbs on it for a couple of years, & at some point it was out in the elements (rain/snow) so i'm hoping that's where the water came from.  running the engine emulsified it...

I know, i know, i should have changed the oil first...do as I say, not as iI do...

i got a free battery today, made for a garden tractor, & a bit bigger than the stock one, so it'll have to go between the side covers for now..for testing/resto purposes only.  i'll run it with my 30wt/mineral spirits flush  just to op temp & then drain it again, looking for metal flakes in the new filter.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ironb12s

With all of the water you said it was spitting out of every orifice it had, and you even wonder why the oil was like milk?   :D

I'd still do the diesel fuel before any more oil goes in.  Don't need to run it, just turn it over with the fuel in.  It'll absorb all of the remaining water and dissolve any deposits.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Lucky

if it ain't worth doing the hard way...

ironb12s

Diesel is like a premixed version of your oil and spirits...
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Lucky

yeah, but i already have the oil & mineral spirits...

Tiger

:) Lucky...Parts are on there way, via airmail, to-day...Duck if you see a low flying maple leaf over your house in the next few day's ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
p.s. You'll know its from me long before you open it ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

That's for sure.  Tiger really likes everyone to know the packages he sends are from Canada!   ;D

The parts I recently received from RMStator didn't have any red & white on the package!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 27, 2007, 05:51:59 PM
The parts I recently received from RMStator didn't have any red & white on the package!
H2O

::) They are in Quebec...Its a different world for some of them... ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Rick G

I'll mail my contingent  monday, sorry to say I have no Canadian stickers to apply!

Tiger you are so right!  The last time I was home to Montreal ( don't let the last name fool you ,  its welsh , rymes with devil. I foolish wore a Canadian flag pin, a Qubec flag pin and a Ontarioflag pin. I couldn't get a buss driver to even admit he understood english . I resorted to taxis . for that kind of money, I got a Russian  who was glad to speak English!     Rick Greville

Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) Rick G,
First mistake.......wearing an Ontario flag pin in Quebec ::)

Second mistake.......wearing a Canadian flag pin in Quebec :o >:(. That REALLY ticks me off... >:(

I purchased from the local post office, a roll of packing tape that has printed, on its entire length, 3" long Canadian flag's... 8) PM me you address and I'll send you a roll.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Lucky

Well, Acitoned the tank, hit it muriatic acid, then the Ospho, cleaning & drying in between.

there still are patches of dead Kreem inside (looking down in with a flashlight) but i'm not going to worry about it much. just keep filters fresh.. there is only so much i have patience for.

i've put together a surprisingly good petcock considering the crappy parts i have to work with, & Dave says he may have better ones around too.

the only major problem with the petcock is the mounting surface is corroded enough to not hold the o-ring in on one side.  i'm simply going to fill the chanel with epoxy & use a flat rubber gasket.  i've done this on my first 82 tank & it worked fine.

Rick is sending me a gas cap so i should have a usable tank around the end of the week or so.

--Lucky

Rick G

lucky , your box left tuesday.  If the gas cap is not what you want let me know. After I mailed  the package I found the rest of the gas caps. I don't know that I would try to remove the porthole  from the master cyl . I think I would consider rebuilding the the one I sent, with the  servicable window.  Up to you. have fun.
Rick
Rick G

Lucky

Thanks Rick,
I'll use the one that looks best inside. the sight glasses come right out since they are plastic & now soft.
there was (is? i hope) a guy on Evilbay selling replacement crystals. you just run a THIN THIN THIN bead of black RTV inside the hole & set them in. they work great.

it was billycarrjr@earthlink.net selling them.

--Lucky

h2olawyer

If he no longer sells the sight glass kits, another source is a watchmaker.  They're getting harder to find these days, but if you measure the diameter of the opening for  the glass, you can take that to a watchmaker & buy a watch crystal to fit.  Mineral glass is less expensive but sapphire crystals are stronger & less prone to scratching.  Last I checked, a mineral glass crystal runs about $15 & a sapphire crystal about $35.

I installed a watch crystal in mine when I rebuilt the 83 master cylinder.  The watchmaker used his UV set glue to put it in place.  I added a ring of epoxy around the very edge.  It is still holding strong & the glass will remain clear for the foreseeable future.  Sure beats plastic!

I know I mentioned this a few times in the past, but it's been a while & there are many new folks on the forum.  Just figure its always nice to have options.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Can anyone tell me specifics on the mounting bolts for the horn cover? and/or pics?
Thanks, --Lucky

YellowJacket!

I think I still have mine if you need them.  Did not need it with the shark fairing.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

The horn cover takes some funky shouldered bolts.  I got a set from Yamaha for a reasonable price (surprise - surprise  ::) ).  As far as I know, they're still available.

H2O

Tiger

...or you can use two M6 x 16 hex head bolts with washers...they will do the trick... 8)

8)........TIGER........ 8)

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on November 02, 2007, 12:48:12 PM

I installed a watch crystal in mine when I rebuilt the 83 master cylinder.  The watchmaker used his UV set glue to put it in place.  I added a ring of epoxy around the very edge.  It is still holding strong & the glass will remain clear for the foreseeable future.  Sure beats plastic!

I know I mentioned this a few times in the past, but it's been a while & there are many new folks on the forum.  Just figure its always nice to have options.

master cylinder glass: here's 5 high precision mineral glass pieces for $17 including shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-5-Mineral-Glass-Crystals-for-Watches-2mm-thick_W0QQitemZ5060519941QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10363QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

email him and ask for 16.7mm x 2.0mm

I gave Tiger one (or two?) awhile back and just put one in tonight. nice and tight. they are flat and the 2mm makes it almost flush. don't need much stickum either.

....buy 5 and send some to your friends for Chrismukkah   ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano