News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Stater rebuild question

Started by Night Vision, December 01, 2005, 09:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Ok, printed the starter rebuild instructions from the ROV home page technical articles, got my Haynes on (I really do try to figure things out for myself first) and cracked the starter open tonight.

No big oil gush, but a pretty good liquid grease seal between the commutator and the case. no big supprise there, but I am confused on one issue so far........

Conflict: the tech article says to take some emery cloth to the bush surface on the commutator, Haynes sez no no to sandpaper or emery.... but that's not my question right now.....

I've got some kind of clear plastic film (sorta like scotch tape) about 3/8" wide all the way around the about 3/4" wide copper commutator brush surface!!!??? ??? ??? ???

neither instructions mention that. Typical? Obviously, emery would make a mess, Haynes sez wipe clean.

Leave it there? or remove it?

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

I cannot imagine why there would be clear plastic around the commutator... almost sounds like someon's playing a joke on you, but that's rediculus too..

perhaps it's left over from assembly...?

how much of the brush is in contact with the commutator?

what's 'securing' the plastic to the armiture?

i'd remove it.

measure your brush lengths & compaire it to specs too.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kiwi_XZ

I've just finished rebuilding my spare starter motor, the commutator can be cleaned up with scotchbrite.  Scotchbrite will provide a similar finish to the crocus paper (very fine without leaving residue embedded).  If the commutator is deeply scored you can take a skim off on a lathe and recut the mica insulation.

The commutator should be clean, I had no "plastic film" on mine.  Anything that would insulate the brushes from the commutator should be removed.  With a multimeter check that you don't have a short between each segment of the commutator and the armature shaft. 

Also check the armature coil resistance (segment to segment), around 11.5 meg ohms.  Brush length, not less than 3/16 in (4.5 mm) minimum.  Also given your fireworks display I would check that when you have reassembled the starter that you don't have a short between the case and the positive terminal.  It is possible for the lead fron the terminal to the brushes to touch the case.

Cheers - Shane
I'll fix it, pass me a bigger hammer!

Night Vision

lucky... no joke, it's there, wish I could get a good pic but you wouldn't be able to see it. ?Seems to be a thin solid strip, no seams.

I too thought "tuna fish sandwich in the headliner" ?

funny thing is...there seems to be reasonable brush wear/powder and that vaugely familiar smell when me and my bro used to smoke up.....
H.O. CARS!!!! ?;)

Going after brush sizes tomorrow night. corona...huh? I don't think I can ups that!

Kiwi, your post "interupted" this reply as I was typing, but that looks like good stuff to. thanks
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano