Main Menu

jesus mighty...

Started by Buffo, December 01, 2005, 09:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffo

Hi guys....here is my situation...I got the oil pressure relief valve installed today. Thanks Lucky.  ;) When I parked my V about 2 months ago it kinda ran...very badly...very, very badly, but it idled...kinda.

Anyway, I had to re-time the front cams because "looking" for a reason I that I didnt have oil pressure I removed the front cylinder timing gear and shaft. Dumbass. It isnt easy to find TDC on my own and only by luck will it be on the compression stroke. I dont know how to find the compression stroke. Plus I forgot which way the cam lobes were to point for the front clyinder. But of course I didnt even remember that the lobes went a certin way until I put the cam chain tensioner on...but I lucked out and put it on right.

I just wanted to see if the oil pressure warning light would go off if I cranked the engine...it did not.

On my CB750 the oil warning light will go off while cranking the engine. Will the V do this or does it usually take a few seconds of running to get the pressure up enough to turn the warning light off?

Well, I tried to get it to sputter like last time but all it did was shoot a single fire ball out of one of the carbs...I was too busy jumping out of the way to see what one but I think it was the front carb. I didn't have the gas tank hooked up, I was using starting fluid.

Am I correct in thinking that I timed the front cams to Exhaust stroke and that I should re-time the pile again?

I also got a complete set of jets from Lucky. I have yet to install them. I am hoping to do that this week. But in trying to start it I learned that now my rear carb choke is stuck and will not allow either to open.

I took my turn signal combo switch apart about 6 months ago and I am doubtfull that I will remember how to put it back together correctly...i am sure that after a few minutes of floundering I will get it , but it is just another turd on the pile.

Buffo

Lucky

Ladies & Gentlemen... I present to you a textbook example of "knows just enough to be dangerous" ROFL!!

Seriously though, setting the cam timming is not something to be done from memory.  consider bent valves if you get it wrong...

I sell all the service manuals on CD (cheap), i wish you'd said something when i sent out your stuff...

I think (don't remember) if i mentioned to you before that the crank seal on that right cover MUST be replaced when the cover is replaced or you'll have oil pressure problems (it's well doccumented on the Forum though)

spraying starting fliud in an engine that possably has improper timming is asking for trouble..note the fireball metioned in your post.

if your carbs aren't clean & adjusted, don't expect the engine to run....

if you can't move the chokes, it's either the rod connecting them is rusted/bent  or the cable is frozen.

if you can't get your t/s switch back together, i'm sure someone here or Ebay will have one cheap.

--Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Buffo

I have a manual I just didnt have it at the time...I got the lobes and timing right.? ::)

But I can't explain the fireball.? :-\

Lucky

any of the following conditions may cause backfiring thru the carbs or exhaust, in no particular order:
--weak charging system
--pilot settings wrong
--carb synq incorrect
--dirty carbs
--vacuume leak
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tdub

Speaking of cam timing, has anyone inadvertantly or purposely "twingled" their motor? This is when both cylinders fire on the same revolution. Tdub
Always Looking for the Next Race

Blake

T-Dub,

I just brought my spare motor from my shed...  Over my thanksgiving break i went ahead and took the valve covers off to inspect the whole situation.. but was to frickin cold to mess with anything. 

Anyway when i had back home for my break I'll be "tinkering" with that spare motor to try a few new things out on and twingling is definately one of the items on my list.

I'll definately take pictures of the process if anyone else is interested.

On a completely different note..anyone know the degrees BTDC that the magnet on the flywheel hits the pickup sensor??  might have to invest in a degree wheel.

But Buffo, it shouldnt matter if you put the cam on the intake or exaust stroke.  One way will make the vision run normal, the other way will "twingle" it, as t-dub mentioned.  what it sounds like is that your cam isnt set exactly as it should (intake valve open during ignition).   setting the cam correctly isnt all that difficult if you read the manual.  It explains the job quite well.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Buffo

agreed...it is not difficult. I have had to do it like 5 times because of front head prolems.

I have Dirty carbs.
I have un-sync'ed carbs
I very well may have a vacume leak
I doubt that the pilot settings are correct.

zore

A few things I learned when messing with cam timing on my xz550rrrrrrrrM1.  There are 2 timing marks.  One for the front cyl adn one for the rear.  If you can remember that, the rest is pretty easy. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

louthepou

If you have Q's about the throttle switch, feel free to send me a message or e-mail; I can open one of my spares and tell you the step by step procedure. Or send you a spare; or as Lucky said, they pop up on Ebay sometimes too.

Hang in there!

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic