News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New R/R Project Query..

Started by Tanno, October 25, 2007, 08:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironb12s

Tanno, sign me up for 2 in the long run.  And, a post to the GSResources once fleshed out.  The Vision is ahead of the the GS in terms of being road-ready, but still behind the Intruder.  Haven't checked, but the Intruder might have a similar need, altho' I think Suzuki fixed most of the electrics by the time it was first introduced.    :-\

Shouldn't KennyS be considered for the Beta testing?  And H2O?  H2O is in your neighborhood anyway.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

kwells

problem around here (Denver) is soon we will be white with snow and have roads covered in sand.  that would push any real testing out to next season.  If we were really going to have a 'beta' tester, I'd say go with one of our warm weather syndicates.  Either way it would take some time to give any REAL results.  Most likely a battery of electical tests and some short term in vivo runs will be the best that can be done.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

kiawrench

have to count me out for th eintial run, i just bought 36 bicycles ,in the boxes and i dont even ride one!And i still have a second order on the way i have to pay for (40 beach bikes and 8 "choppers' )

my money will be tight for a bit, two kids in college and i just quit the best thing i ever did .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

kwells

becoming a retailer or what? or did these fall off a truck?

www.wellsmoto.com

Tanno

Quote from: kwells on October 26, 2007, 07:29:44 PM
problem around here (Denver) is soon we will be white with snow and have roads covered in sand.  that would push any real testing out to next season.  If we were really going to have a 'beta' tester, I'd say go with one of our warm weather syndicates.  Either way it would take some time to give any REAL results.  Most likely a battery of electical tests and some short term in vivo runs will be the best that can be done.

Oh, the tests will be exhaustive. They want me to beat it up with my bike on the initial one. I'm in the market for some electric gloves, maybe a vest also. Just to get the electrical load higher.

I already have an H4 bulb in the headlight, 2057 bulbs in the tails, two 55w aux lights, gps, and pittily little LED projects on it. I don't know what my current amp draw is, but I'll find out soon.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Tanno

Does anyone here know what the stator's max current is? Not locked rotor, but maximum running current before voltage starts dropping.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

h2olawyer

Yamaha says the OEM electrical power is 280W.  I know my Electrosport stator drops from just under 15V on my volt gauge (minimum running load - lights & ignition only) to 14V when I turn the two 55W aux lights on.  This is at RPMs above 2500.  At idle, the volts drop to 13+ & with the brake light added in, it drops to just under 13.

Idle, minimum load, the gauge reads just under 15V.  (14.87 @ the battery, measured with a digital volt meter)

I know it's not exactly the info you are looking for, but its what I know from observation on mine.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tanno

I'm looking for amperage. Voltage is only part of the story. The wattage helps. Thank you.

ironb12s

Do the math.   ;)  Watts = Volts X Amps.  If it's 280W/14V=20A.  But, I think that you're asking for the current of the stator just after rectification, right?  That won't be in the OEM Documentation, so don't even look for it.  Build a little standalone rectifier using 2 Bridge rectifiers (4 diodes), run the 3 AC lines from the stator to it, and measure the output on the one DC line coming out.  If I knew how to draw here I'd draw it up, but:
Where "=" is AC current, "-" is DC, "|>" is a diode...

/========================|>----\
STATOR==========================|>----+-----  POSITIVE----\
|          \=========================|>---/                               \
|           
|                                                                                                /
+----------------------------------------------------- NEGATIVE----/

You'll need an ammeter with a scale to at least 50DCA between positive and negative.  The engineers should have one.   :)

Moreover, the FAQ on the Vision's Stator Papers states a value of 70VAC(?) per white lead from the stator?  You could take a reading directly from each using an AC ammeter to get that info, and sum up the results.

ironb12s

I'd also suggest our Southern contingent as the guinea pigs for the A and B testing.  They have uninterrupted riding seasons, albeit, if I were in CO, I'd be out every day except when there is ice present on the roads...sand is annoying, but CO SPG uses mostly cinders for ice on the roads.  CaROV would be good contingent, as well.  KennyS puts more miles on his than anyone else here, so look to him, also.

kwells

it's horrible riding in CO between jan and march..even nice days restrict u to the plains in that time period...the cinder only makes up a small amt of what they lay...the sand makes a complete covering of the roadway with the exception of 2 12 inch stripes where cages throw some off....

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I'm interested in one ,but I can't commit until, I see where I'm going to get the money from.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike