News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

My vision

Started by flyinbike, August 08, 2009, 07:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinbike

here is my 82 Vision, I'm taking it to the track in a few weeks to see what she can really do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9BaZBVCDyA

8)

Re-Vision

Flyinbike, What brand of mufflers on your Vision?  Reason I ask is one of my part bikes has identical mufflers.  Mine have some rust and I don't know if they are worth trying to save or not.  BDC

flyinbike

I have no clue of the brand of the mufflers, as I bought the bike with them. I have never seen them on another vision though, but they are pretty cool.

I will look tomorrow and see if I can see any markings

h2olawyer

The exhaust is a MAC system.  The most common replacement when the OEM mufflers rot out.

The case guard is one of the rarer style, though.  Should be a fun track bike!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

The Prophet of Doom

Sounds good.  Love the red exhaust ends.
You'll be wanting to upgrade the brakes to a twin caliper though and ditch those "come to jesus" handlebars.

funkamongus

Wow.. as I commented on the youtube site, that thing really roars...  GREAT JOB!! Let us know how it goes on raceday!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

chaditude

i was just wondering after reading this "ditch those "come to jesus" handlebars" how do you change to a different style of handle bars on the vision?

xswheels

If you are going racing, you gotta take off that mirror stub.

hamptoncarmody

I ditched my oringinal bars by drilling appropriate holes in top tree and mounting ct 110 handlebar brackets and bars of my choice. I also tipped the outside clamps upside down and cut off bar bracket extensions, carefully grinding so as no stress risers. Sounds gruesome and I was scared when I did it but I have done about 20,000 k and no probs cracking or whatever.

The Prophet of Doom

There are 5 main options I have seen people talk about
1.  Change to 83 risers, which are about an inch lower (lots of people - a very easy change) often done with the 83 rear-set footpegs
2.  Use clip-ons, by mounting under the upper triple (louthepou)
3.  Use clip-ons, by sliding the forks upwards a bit (treedragon)
4.  Mounting 83 risers upside down & left-to right (Lucky's cafe racer)
5.  Drilling the upper triple to accept normal handlebar brackets (Glyn)

Twin disks will require:
A rotor (these just bolt on so you can use a left hand 82 part)
A 83 right-hand fork lower
A right hand caliper (off an 83, or a RZ350)
Additional brake lines ideally braided stainless
A splitter if you want to go for a 3 line kit, or just take 2 lines all the way to the MC
Ideally a larger brake MC

h2olawyer

The dual disc system actually requires both fork lowers.  The 83 discs are smaller diameter and the left side caliper sits farther down on an 83 than it does on an 82.  It isn't a lot different, but it is noticeable even by eye.  The pads would still grab, but they would not fully engage - the top of the pads would be out in space & not doing as much work.  I suppose you could use an 82 fork lower on the left side provided you use an 82 disc on that side - but why would you want to have an unbalanced system?

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

The Prophet of Doom

Woops, H2O is right of course.  Sorry about that - here are the part numbers.

83R  28V-23136-00-6G
83L  28V-23126-00-6G

82L 11H-23126-00-38
82R 11H-23136-00-38 (no caliper mounts)

Here's where I went wrong.  Mine is an 82 Euro which has twin caliper setup. 
My #3 which I wrecked for parts was a late 83 Euro, and both had matching stamps on the forks Y11U-R  Y11U-L.  They are also the same on the XZ400s.  Of course I forgot about the black forked US 83 models (as I've never seen one), and never considered for a second they would have different geometry.  I guess there's no telling whether the 82/83 Euros match the US82 or 83 or neither.

Yet more differences to confuse the addled mind, I should stop reading US model parts lists and thinking they apply to my bike.  Can't assume anything with those shifty Japanese.

flyinbike

could I flip the handle bars on an 82, and move them right to left and left to right?

thanks

Re-Vision

If you swap the risers,it will move the 82 risers forward about three and a half inches and the ends of the handle bars forward almost a foot unless you remove the guide pin from the risers and rotate handle bars 180 degrees.  This should move hand grips forward approximately four inches from normal.  I measured this inside because its too darn hot to be working outside.  BDC