News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

AVon Road Rider-update

Started by jasonm., July 09, 2008, 07:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonm.

I felt I had to post this. Please read.   Shortly before Americade(beginning of June) I had my new Road Rider front tire put on. As you can see in my other thread.   http://ridersofvision.net/forum/zindex.php?topic=8733.0    Ride and handling seemed fine, better than fine.  I check the air in my tires every ride or minmum once a week. Just prior to leaving for Americade I noticed I was loosing air. ~ 1# every3 days...2#/week. My garage is at a constant temp. So I became concerned. Took the wheel off and checked for rim leaks and valve stem leaks using soap(simple green) and water. None found. Then after rinsing the tire...I saw cracks in the sidewall near the wheel. But only on one side. Heck, the tire was made Sept/07. So dry rot this quick?   I call Avon.They said, how it was stored could have been an issue(Dennis Kirk). Such as electrical devices that emit ozone(lights compressors). Heck I have my bikes near a compressor. They also suggested the soap I used was a strong soap and not something they recommend.But I have never had a crack in any tire till they made it past 6 years of age. I found the idea of soap causing a cracked sidewall to be a bit "out there". At Americade they were very helpful and looked at my tire. No questions asked, they shipped tire to my local guy and had it put on and spin balanced. New Tire was only weeks old.The old one sent back for inspection. But this new(cheap $70) 2 ply sidewall makes me wonder...? Maybe you do get what you pay for? The tire handles well. But does squerm under my heavy braking that only I can do. The previous tire did not do this.  On a positive note: this tire(100/90) has a deep tread 7/32 because it is also rated for rear use. Most fronts are usually just 4 or 5/32". SO, long tread life is possible.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

I use simple green and we used it  at Motorcycle Maintenance Specialties  in OR.  on literally hundreds of bikes . Those guys are plain nuts!!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: jasonm. on July 09, 2008, 07:11:57 PM
Maybe you do get what you pay for? The tire handles well. But does squirm under my heavy braking that only I can do.

:) I'm sure, for whatever reason, Avon do have the odd complaint about a faulty tire or two...after all, nothing is perfect!! I don't believe Avon, which has a tremendous motorcycle racing history behind the company name, would abandon its principals to sell "cheap" product...More modern street bikes and more to the point, the racing circuit, puts these tires under a lot more aggressive braking conditions. However, you have to be aware that we are running bias-ply/cross ply not radial tires on our Vision's...there is a big difference.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kwells

The other odd thing is these tires haven't been produced for all that long.  I would question the storage facility's protocols and handling.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

jasonm.

they told me the tire has been in production for approx. 1.5 - 2 years.  These are "V" rated tires(150 mph). SO they should handle hard braking from my or any other 480# bike plus rider well under that 150mph. The squirm happens under extremes(60 to zero in 100') or "must do" short stops. Yes, I test my limits.  I file them to memory for future reference. repetition is a great tool for learning. education is a life saver.

Cdnlouie

I have heard of some rubber cracking issues  :-[ with the Avons on the Venture forum manufactured in 2007.  I just put a 2008 Venom X on the front of my Venture and it is unbelievably wonderful compared to my aging Dunlop Elite II. I can't wait to check it out in the Adirondacks, Green & White mountains of N.H & Vermont next week.  They do offer great service which is very nice.

jasonm.

I have Venom X's on my Venture. Oh and it's running. Just not completely together yet. Think I may have some carb issues. I had the carbs apart. Bowls spotless. But slow speed passage clogged on one carb. Fixed that but still has hesitation while doing a twist while criuising. But this is all for another forum. VenomX...great tire. Dunlops are junk, not worth the money . There is a venom X front that fit the Vision 100/90. But I did not think it would suit my riding.

Lead_Deficiency

i had a metzler do the same thing a couple years ago, the guy didn't want to replace it either, tried saying it was normal. then i pointed out that the front tire on his bmer was a metzler too and it seemed to be fine- he replaced the tire
::)