News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Oil pump driven by plastic part?

Started by Perus, April 08, 2008, 09:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perus

Hi!

Just before I bought my "V" today (yes I bought her today :) ) I read a post in a Swedish forum that the oil pump is driven by some plastic part?
Is that really true and what's the expected lifetime of that part?

I have searched the net and ROV for more information without success...

Br,
Per

motoracer8

Yes, the oil pump is driven with a plastic gear that is driven by the primary drive gear on the crankshaft. I have seen some wear on that gear on a high milage Vision, 50,000 miles. Change oil once in awhile it will last a long time.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Coil Coyle

Part 2

If the pump seizes, the gear strips to save the crank. The red oil light warns you that you have no oil.

Ken, is gear 3 on the water pump plastic? I forget!

:-\
Coil

pullshocks

I have my right side cover off right now if you need me to look at anything....

Rick G

Per, don't let it worry you, I haven't seen a bad one yet!!  There are other parts that will cause you concern , but not the pump drive gear!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Perus

OK, thanks, I'm not worried any longer ;)

Br,
Per

motoracer8

Coil, They are hard to see on a parts fiche, there are two gears on the crankshaft, a big one, and a smaller one, both metal, the big one is the primary drive gear, and also drives a gear that turns the cam drive for the front cyl. The smaller gear drives the oil pump, and the water pump, and both of those driven gears are plastic, and quite tough. If you remove the clutch cover, when replacing it you want to turn the water pump impeller to make shure it is engaged with the drive gear before pushing the clutch cover all the way on. I replaced the clutch, and water pump seal on a Vision a few years ago that had 88,000 miles on it, the oil pump gear had some wear, but not enough to worry about, and the w/p gear looked new. The machine was used as a commuter, he did'nt race every thing that rolled, I took care of his bike for about 10 years, it had 92,000 on it when he sold it. As far as I know the engine had never been apart other than minor stuff, clutch, w/p, starter clutch, the normal stuff on a Vision. It was an 82, and he bought it new.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Coil Coyle

Thanks, Ken.

I won't worry about that as I put a crank in the Rod Knocker.

:)
Coil