News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Running Problems

Started by comatt, April 15, 2008, 08:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comatt

So I'm back, after meeting most everyone who came to Colorado last summer and having a great ride though Rocky Mountain NP, the bike was put away for the most part.  I just tried starting it up over the last couple of days and have not been very successful.  It was backfiring for a while and flooding out.  When it would start I had to keep the throttle on to keep it running.  I took off the tank and the air box to see how it was spraying, everything seemed fine.  I then started it up without the tank on and it seemed to run a lot better.  It was at least idling better.  I still think I need to adjust the mixture and sync, but it will not stay running with the tank on.

Might I be getting too much gas from the tank? A leak?

Is one of my floats stuck?

I should probably dip the carb, but I want too make sure it is not something else and I hate taking those carbs apart even though I've done it at least 6 times over the past 2 years.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

YellowJacket!

Sounds like either a kinked fuel line, no vacuum to the petcock or a clogged vent hole on the gas cap. Especially since it runs with the tank off.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

Does you petcock free flow?
Did you put ur airbox all back together when u put tank on?
Did you drain ur system when u put the bike away a yr ago?

I smell berryman's nearby
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

dj

Well if one of your floats werer stuck then you would have gas dripping form the overflow lines off the carbs.

Sounds like fuel is getting from the tank to the carbs okay (gas is coming out the spray nozzles, so gas is in the float bowls).

Try putting the tank on and take the cap off.  If it works like that then it would suggest a bad cap vent like David mentioned.

Could also be a pinched gas line when the tank is on, also mentioned by David.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kwells on April 16, 2008, 07:32:45 PM
I smell berryman's nearby

Is that guy in your new avatar using Berrymans?   LOL  I love it!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

Yeah,
It's berryman's new nut stomping cleaner
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I thought the guy was suffering from flatulence!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike