Car*burp*rator Reassembly

Started by tizod, May 09, 2004, 05:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tizod

Okay...I spent the day cleaning up my carbs and I think I got them nice and good however I was unsuccessful in removing the main jet or the pilot jets from the main body.  I could not locate a screwdriver to get in there to loosen it.  The only one that came close wanted to strip it so I just shot a shitload of carb cleaner in there and prayed.

The rest cleaned up real nice.

Now, however, I am reassembling it and of course I am forgetting what went where so I have a few questions...

1) One carb is not like the other.  One of them has two hose nozzles on the top part of the carb.  Is that one supposed to be the front or rear carb??  The one's in the manual don't even seem to have these nozzles.

2) There is a piece that I cannot identify which doesn't show up in the manual so I can't remember where it goes.  There are 3 parts to is.  The main part is a gray round piece that looks like it is some kind of filter or something.  It has a little nipple thing on it  where a hose can fit onto it.  The other part is a black metal holder for this thing and a rubber O ring.

Anyone know what the heck I am talking about and where it goes?

I am sure I will have plenty more questions when I go to hook the hoses back up.   ::)
Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another one, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication. - Back In The Saddle

nvdranger

ooo more stuff I can answer and help with j/k a little excited doesn't happen so much with this bike

1) the way I remember which was which was by the plastic overflows on the lower bowls. ?the front has a T-connector (well mine broke anyways) and the rear has a single outlet. ?the rear carb also has the

2) the black and grey thing is an air filter that goes on the front carb check out my tonight is the night thread for help on the hoses, if needed.  H2o did an excellent job with the hoses I couldn't figure out.  

Oh to make you feel a lil better I accidently forgot about the jets you talking about and its a good thing I had to replace one of the diaphrams b/c I got them out and they were pretty gummed up.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Lucky

Quote1) One carb is not like the other.  One of them has two hose nozzles on the top part of the carb.  Is that one supposed to be the front or rear carb??  The one's in the manual don't even seem to have these nozzles.
that is the top of the front carb

Quote2) There is a piece that I cannot identify which doesn't show up in the manual so I can't remember where it goes.  There are 3 parts to is.  The main part is a gray round piece that looks like it is some kind of filter or something.  It has a little nipple thing on it  where a hose can fit onto it.  The other part is a black metal holder for this thing and a rubber O ring.

That round thing is a filter. the o-ring sits in the metal holder, & the grey filter sits inside with the 3 'fingers holding it in. there will be a small hose that goes from the grey filter to the top front carb fitting. (the one at an angle)

the other fitting on the top/right of the carb goes to the flapper door on the airbox.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

tizod

Thanks for the answer but I never got my carbs seperated because there were two mounting brackets holding them together which screws would not come out no matter how hard I tried or how much blaster I applied.

My confusion was about the upper body of the carb but I think you may have answered it with my second question.

If I get this thing running it will be a freaking miracle.
Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another one, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication. - Back In The Saddle

tizod