Birdstrikes

Started by Re-Vision, December 22, 2009, 04:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Got an E-mail from an old Air Force buddy, it was primarily pictures of aircraft that had been struck by birds.  The final picture was of an owl that struck a Hooter's Racing Team motorcycle (I couldn't figure out how to send the picture) and the rider was killed.  I've never been struck by anything bigger than a jumbo grasshopper. I've known two people that have been smacked by birds while riding that could have easily became disasters. This made me wonder just how common is it to be struck by a bird. Would like to hear of personal birdstrike experiences and how you reacted to them.   BDC

lexx790

I've never had a bird strike but I gave up going to work on the scenic coastal road due to the number of rabbits crossing the road. I gave up when the bunny count got to 30.

Rick G

When I lived in OR. a pair of birds the size of sparrows swooped down and across my path and one struck the side of the engine killing it. They apparently misjudged  my speed and one paid the price.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

Must have been a really heavy duty little bird.  I would have thought that V engines were tougher than that.

funkamongus

LOL!!!! Ive been hit by large beetles, love bugs, all kinds of things,, but its funny how it happens sometimes.. like getting a yellowjacket just inside the right side of your helmet, at speed, knocking him out, and he wakes up.....OR, You can be covered from head to tail, except for one spot just at the bottom of your throat, right where your jacket splits and just before you neck gaiter starts, and BAM, thats where the beatle will get ya... Ive been buzzed by birds, but havent been hit by one, yet.. My riding friend Dan says hes been hit. Hitting a Squirrel or anything larger would suck. You need a big scoop like the front of a train!! A mini cow catcher!!!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Walt_M.

My closest call with a bird was a chicken! I was on my '71 RT1 doing a little back road Sunday morning ride, coming up on a farm house. I saw a little flock? of chickens by the road, didn't think too much about them but as I approached one of them spooked and flew across the road in front of me. I wasn't going very fast and missed it but I can see it to this day.
Whale oil beef hooked!

firstone

I have actual been struck by a bluejay while traveling along the back roads in NH.  I was wearing a full face helmet and was hit from the side where the visor and shell met.  I never saw it coming, just saw it bounce off and into the bushes.  I was doing about 45 MPH and the impact wasn't horrible, just a heart stopping shock.  I pulled over to make sure everything was still where I left it and my shorts were still clean.  The bluejay didn't fair as well...

arthurdent510

Heh, I think he meant it killed the bird, not his engine...

Never hit a bird on the bike yet.  I did nail two in the same day when I was moving from Michigan to Arizona.  Was in Kansas I think and hit some killdear walking across the highway, and had another fly into my radiator.  Was a bitch trying to get it out  :-\

YellowJacket!

Got hit in the throat by a bumble bee.  Hit in the hand by either a stone or a lug nut or bolt or something hard.  It actually hit my brake lever first....luckilly.

Sorry funk...never reallized I got into your helmet.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

I've told it a few times, but i caught a small bird (crow sized) in the middle of the visor going at least 90. Didnt break, luckily enough, but i couldnt get the blood stains out of the (soft) paint on the tank.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Night Vision

closest I've come to an avian encounter was after the fact,
I looked down at my front axel and saw a single feather on the cotter pin....

Lucky Duck  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

motoracer8

I was riding in Montana some years ago on a BMW K100 RS, 70/75 mph when a small bird, I assume it was a Sparrow hit the screen/air deflector, that model BMW had an adjustable air deflector near the top of the screen, that broke landed in my lap, the bird then hit the top of my helmet with a thud and it was a little bird.

Last Monday there was a bird strike on a Southwest 737 on decent into the Sacramento airport, the pilot thought likley a goose, it put a huge dent in the nose just below the windshield.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Kenny

BIRDS!!
   We sucked a small Hawk into the intake of a CF60c2a2 G/E a few years ago on landing overseas-man what alot of work this creates especially when it goes through the engine core. This means a Boroscope for sure to check for internal engine damage (blades ect) not an easy job on the road as most Aircraft do not carry a scope.
   I / we have had two occasions when birds became an issue: on a trip from B.C. to eastern Canada both on an Xs Eleven a bird hit Dorothy' Helmut square on ( I ducked) feathers everywhere! 
   And again out on the Prairies on our way to Windsor Ont. from B.C. a black bird nailed her Clearview windscreen dead center - Big cloud of feathers, Yuck what a mess!!
      Can't miss them all !
                              Happy Holidays  Ken S. :D
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Lucky

Quote from: Kenny on December 29, 2009, 02:36:37 AM
  on a trip from B.C. to eastern Canada both on an Xs Eleven a bird hit Dorothy' Helmut square on ( I ducked) feathers everywhere! 

Gee Kenny, what a gentleman!  :D :D ;D

BIRD!!
WHAT??
WHAM!!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on December 29, 2009, 07:31:37 AM
Quote from: Kenny on December 29, 2009, 02:36:37 AM
  on a trip from B.C. to eastern Canada both on an Xs Eleven a bird hit Dorothy' Helmut square on ( I ducked) feathers everywhere! 

Gee Kenny, what a gentleman!  :D :D ;D

BIRD!!
WHAT??
WHAM!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Lucky, great minds think alike :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

funkamongus

finger crossed,, not yet!!!!! Im glad I read about the brake bolts.. that would be very bad at speed.
I own:

Tiger

:) Many, many years ago, back in England...I took out a full size cock pheasant with my 196something mini... :o I came around a bend...on a downhill run at about 70 mph and BOOM!!!!!!!!!! I eventually pulled over to the side of the road to find my front grill, metal front grill...demolished...there was blood, snots, guts and feathers all over the front of my mini and inside the engine compartment too ::) Lil B*^#)@+d...grrrrrrrr
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

funkamongus

the free food doesnt quite make it a wash eh?!?!?! I mean,  You DO eat the bird after something like that.. right???  RIGHT?!?!?
LOL!
I own:

motoracer8

Some may have seen it , as it was in the motor press. a car at the Bonneville speed trials going 150+ hit a cyote that ran across the track, it about killed the car, the cyote did'nt look too good either,he was still stuck in the grill/air intake.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British