News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

83 Mufflers Paint?

Started by firstone, July 26, 2007, 05:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstone

Does anyone know exactly what the paint is that is used on the 83 stock black exhaust?  Mine have rust pits and need to be cleaned up.  I would like to strip them, but I'm not sure what to use and once stripped what to replace the paint with.  If they cannot be stripped, what can be used to convert the rust in the pits to prepare them for repainting?

Thanks,

Coil Coyle

Quote from: firstone on July 26, 2007, 05:22:29 AM
Does anyone know exactly what the paint is that is used on the 83 stock black exhaust?  Mine have rust pits and need to be cleaned up.  I would like to strip them, but I'm not sure what to use and once stripped what to replace the paint with.  If they cannot be stripped, what can be used to convert the rust in the pits to prepare them for repainting?

Thanks,
Phosphoric Acid will eat the Iron Oxide and it leaves some phosporus compound on the surface as a primer.
Wikjipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid#Rust_removal,  says that Naval Jelly has it.
      A discussion by chain saw restorers is at http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39240 read down to Franz and you'll learn everything you ever wanted to know.

;)
Coil

kiawrench

once you read all of that , hop in your choice of transortation, drive,ride ,skate on down to your local hardware store and buy one of two types of paint, flat black bbq grill paint, or ,my personal favorite, semi gloss header paint .

mask off the area you dont want painted, and spray a light coat of the high temp paint you hav echosen, wait about an hour, and spray a second coat, then run bike to bake it on(just run it ,not ride it ) allow this to cook for ten to twenty minutes, and then apply third coat. you are done, hard, black , evenly painted ,(and cheaper than me at a high school charity auction)
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

QBS

'83 exhaust systems were not painted black.  The coating is often called black chrome.  Not sure how it would react to phosphoric acid.  Might be not good.

kwells

there are companies out there that have chrome-like products that you spray on.  I believe it comes in black as well.  The OEM black is actually a chrome though.

http://www.goldtouchinc.com/english.html
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

kiawrench

my 82 is wearing black pipes, , but they were sanded and then painted,
thought hard about painting my sister's husband too-- bright shiny yellow, to match that big stripe he has up his back---- but that is another story ,,,,,

if you want black pipes, your choice is new oem pipes, rechroming , or painting---- not much of a choice in the economics dept,,, but then, if you really want to stay stock,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

my project bike pipes are black ,and heat proof wrappings , sort of like exile bikes have ,,, but i know sooner or later, it is going to ruin those front down pipes, if it hasn't already.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Glyn

I've used paint on bbq paint, matt finish on my exhausts. They came painted black/rusty when I got the bike. Also rust treated them, always wash off the acid real well with water and leave to dry well for a few days in the hot sun if possible. It's also easy to totch up small areas with a paintbrush rather than mask off and use a spay can also.

reckon

Quote from: kiawrench on July 27, 2007, 06:06:26 PM
my 82 is wearing black pipes, , but they were sanded and then painted,
thought hard about painting my sister's husband too-- bright shiny yellow, to match that big stripe he has up his back---- but that is another story ,,,,,

if you want black pipes, your choice is new oem pipes, rechroming , or painting---- not much of a choice in the economics dept,,, but then, if you really want to stay stock,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

my project bike pipes are black ,and heat proof wrappings , sort of like exile bikes have ,,, but i know sooner or later, it is going to ruin those front down pipes, if it hasn't already.

also powdercoating is a very viable option for used pipes, I have it done to project bikes all the time, they have THOUSANDS of color/gloss/texture options now, so you can get just about any look you might be after.

since powdercoat is baked on at 450+ degrees, it's THE most heat resistant coating next to electroplating (most GOOD chrome shops will NEVER dip pipes that have been run on a motor).

tips on doing your own pipes:

1) GET THE PIPES CLEAN, use detergent, and an abrasive pad (scotch: red or grey)

2) REMOVE THE RUST:as was mentioned use a phosphoric acid metal prep, or muriatic acid

3) LESS IS BEST: when painting with a high temp spray can product, use as little as humanly possible: just shoot enough even coats to get "hiding" (you can't se what was underneath) THEN STOP!

4) BAKE FOR TOUGHEST FINISH:  if you can find an oven big enough you can bake the pipes after about an hour of drying: bake at about 250-300 degrees for about 2 hours (or follow the baking directions on the can) you can also run the bike for a few minutes, then shut it off, then run it again for a little longer about a half hour later, and repeat till you have about 5 or 6 heat/cool cycles.

"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

Kenny

Hi Reckon,
Its great to hear from you again.   Sirius Consolidated Inc In Kitchener Ont. usually lists these Petcock kits for the 82's on Ebay, although I don't see any at present.
    Sorry to hear of the forced Job change-but who knows maybeits for the best.
     I still have an 83 windshield in a box that is availiable  are you still able to use it as a pattern? I wll ship if you wish & I don't require this unit back.
       Let me know ...     thanks Ken Stuart
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

reckon

Quote from: Kenny on July 28, 2007, 10:46:21 PM
  Hi Reckon,
Its great to hear from you again.   Sirius Consolidated Inc In Kitchener Ont. usually lists these Petcock kits for the 82's on Ebay, although I don't see any at present.
    Sorry to hear of the forced Job change-but who knows maybeits for the best.
     I still have an 83 windshield in a box that is availiable  are you still able to use it as a pattern? I wll ship if you wish & I don't require this unit back.
       Let me know ...     thanks Ken Stuart

YES!!,...I DO need/want that 83' windscreen,...I have a mold all made up for the shark fairings, and even made a crappy drape form windscreen: I overcooked it, and it's "bubbled" but still functional, since my original basically shattered, I installed the drape form, since I had no shop at that time.  here's a pic

that thing about the forced change maybe being for the best is dead on the money: I just LOVE the new shop, and the new job ( better vac form machines for windscreens-hehe)

I'll PM you the shipping address,...thanks

"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

Kenny

Hi reckon I sent you a note on the earlier windshield post.
                     Cheers Ken S
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92