News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New Vision Owner in Manassas, VA

Started by MotorPlow, December 19, 2006, 08:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

This was posted to my web site:

Hi there. Not sure where to put this because I could not find an email address for you. But I picked up an 82 Vision Saturday. Bike has been sittin since 94 and missing most everyting. I would upload a pic, but don't know how to on this site. Well I live in Manassas Virginia and have tried to email Lucky as well but his email gets returned. I'm looking for guidance on what I need to do and what steps to follow.
John
jmaxvill@hotmail.com

I am in the process of emailing him to see if he has found this site yet....

Lucky

??? i got his email yesterday & sent him a reply last night.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Max

I finally found this site.  Here is a picture of the bike.

Night Vision

I'm looking for guidance on what I need to do and what steps to follow.
John
jmaxvill@hotmail.com

ok.....
step one: get a manual
step two: make friends with Tiger  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Sable

1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Max

Manual has been ordered.  Forum sign up complete.
Here kitty kitty kitty!!!

Tiger

Quote from: Max on December 19, 2006, 11:43:23 AM
Manual has been ordered.  Forum sign up complete.
Here kitty kitty kitty!!!

:o..."Here kitty kitty kitty"!!! ... :o  Looking at your "V"...its just as well you have a sense of humour... ;D ;D ;D :D :D... 8)

Welcome to THE "Family" for "V"s and their owner's. I have sent you an e-mail...need more picture's.

Initial list before I blinked.....Handle bars and riser's, left/right control switches(lights/choke/stop/indicator's,etc), front brake lever/master cylinder/brake hose/caliper, rad/rad fan/cowl, clutch lever, rear light/tail piece, full set of indicator's, front fender, battery box, side plastic's...I think I have... 8) but I don't have: seat, head light ass'y, gauge's...Holy, my fingers are getting sore... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Sable

Looks like you have a lot of work a head of you... Start with just the necessities that you need to get it running. Besides what Tiger already mentioned, and judging by the picture, looks like you're gonna need carbs, battery (and box), wiring harness and relays, starter solenoid (and starter... can't tell from the picture),  shift lever, radiator and hoses... That's about all I can see from the pix...

~John

PS - "Here kitty kitty kitty.." has got to be one of the funniest things I've heard today ;D
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

MotorPlow

Before you start gathering parts for the bike, I would check the engine out real good. Check the compression to see if the rings and pistons and all are good. Try turning the engine over by hand. Is there a starter attached to the bike (it will be on the front of the engine, low, behind the header pipes)? See if you can hook a battery to the starter and see if it will turn over. Are you missing things like the igniter box and coils? You certainly have a uphill road ahead of you. Time, patients and some (oaky, a lot) of parts and in time, it will come together.

Max

There is no starter.  I do have the wire harness, ignition box, rectifier, and coils. 
I think the frame needs to be stripped first so the rust can be treated and frame repainted.  I have already ordered a bunch of parts already.
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 REAR FENDER LIGHT...*
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 RADIATOR WITH FAN...*
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 COILS...*
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 SEAT...no
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 SIDE BLACK PLASTIC COVER...NO
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 PLASTIC SEAT PANELS...*
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 CHROME PLASTIC YICS COVER...*
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 LEFT FOOT PEG BRACKET...*
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 RIGHT FOOT PEG BRACKET...*
1982 YAMAHA IGNITION SWITCH AND SEAT LOCK XZ550...no
1982 YAMAHA XZ VISION 550 CARBURETOR CARB INTAKE (130058066145)
1982 YAMAHA XZ VISION 550 MISC. PARTS GAS BOOT PEGS (130058067419)
1982 YAMAHA XZ VISION 550 COMP. RADIATOR FAN COOLING (130058068727)...*
1982 YAMAHA XZ VISION 550 COMP. HEADLIGHT HEAD LIGHTS (130058069145)
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 VISION HAND CONTROLS THROTTLE (130058072530)...*
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 VISION HAND CONTROLS SWITCH ON /OFF >(130058072923)...*
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 VISION REAR BRAKES PARTS (130058073342)...no
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 VISION TAIL LIGHT REAR BRAKE LIGHT (130058073754)...*
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 VISION AIR BOX FILTERS INTAKE (130058074189)...*
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 VISION COMP. FRONT FENDER BODY (130058075323)...*
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 COMP. SEAT (130058075792)...no
1982 XZ 550 RJ VISION YAMAHA FRONT END SHOCKS BARS TREE...*

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Max on December 19, 2006, 03:53:13 PM
There is no starter.  I do have the wire harness, ignition box, rectifier, and coils. 
I think the frame needs to be stripped first so the rust can be treated and frame repainted.  I have already ordered a bunch of parts already.
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 REAR FENDER LIGHT...*
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 RADIATOR WITH FAN...*
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 COILS...*
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 SEAT...no
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 SIDE BLACK PLASTIC COVER...NO
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 PLASTIC SEAT PANELS...*
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 CHROME PLASTIC YICS COVER...*
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 LEFT FOOT PEG BRACKET...*
1982 YAMAHA VISION 550 RIGHT FOOT PEG BRACKET...*
1982 YAMAHA IGNITION SWITCH AND SEAT LOCK XZ550...no
1982 YAMAHA XZ VISION 550 CARBURETOR CARB INTAKE (130058066145)
1982 YAMAHA XZ VISION 550 MISC. PARTS GAS BOOT PEGS (130058067419)
1982 YAMAHA XZ VISION 550 COMP. RADIATOR FAN COOLING (130058068727)...*
1982 YAMAHA XZ VISION 550 COMP. HEADLIGHT HEAD LIGHTS (130058069145)
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 VISION HAND CONTROLS THROTTLE (130058072530)...*
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 VISION HAND CONTROLS SWITCH ON /OFF >(130058072923)...*
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 VISION REAR BRAKES PARTS (130058073342)...no
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 VISION TAIL LIGHT REAR BRAKE LIGHT (130058073754)...*
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 VISION AIR BOX FILTERS INTAKE (130058074189)...*
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 VISION COMP. FRONT FENDER BODY (130058075323)...*
1982 YAMAHA XZ 550 COMP. SEAT (130058075792)...no
1982 XZ 550 RJ VISION YAMAHA FRONT END SHOCKS BARS TREE...*

Whewwwww! You've been keepin ebay busy!

Welcome to the ROV Max.  I'll reiterate what Sable said...you've got your work cut out for you.  But, its very do-able.  My bike was complete when I got it but I had a lot of parts to replace.  Many of which I got from the guys and gals here, ebay and a few other places.
The collective experience here is amazing, so you are in good hands if you need restoration tips and help.
The first order of business is to see if the pistons will turn.
Also, check out Vision-Rising's post baout his restoration.  He has a play by play of most of the work hes done and has also taken some great pics of the project.
Tiger is a GRRRREAT source of parts.  He keeps his list updated regularly and will go out of his way to look for something if he thinks he can find it.  Many of us will list or request stuff in the swap shop forum so check it out too.

Good Luck

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Superfly

Definately look into a parts bike (will be cheaper in the long run).  

Motorplow is right.  The first thing you want to do is to turn the engine over by hand.  If the bike has been sitting for 10+ years without the carbs on there, you could have some surface rust on the cylinders.   take the side plate off of the stator cover (use a impact driver) and once the plate is off, drop a couple of drops of oil down the cylinders, and turn the engine over a few times by hand (14mm socket).

Looks like a fun project!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

dj

Welcome to the Family.

You must have a lot of spare time on your hands and a tractor trailer size load of patience!  Can't wait to see how this thing turns out.  Make sure you update us with pics of your progress.

Good luck to you and feel free to ask plenty of questions.  The group of guys/gals here is just amazing and the knowledge base has got to be on par if not better then at Yamaha!
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

h2olawyer

I'd say better than Yamaha.  All the employees at the dealerships around here aren't as old as the V.  I have to educate new parts children every spring.  "No, it's NOT a Suzuki . . . no, it's NOT a Kawasaki.  It IS a Yamaha - keep looking."  The engineers who designed the V probably all retired some time ago.  After the troubles they had unloading them from 82 - 86, Yamaha itself wanted to forget about this bike, too.  Sure wish they could have kept it in the lineup & progressed on the intake design until they worked out a fuel injection system & put real forks on it.  Oh well, it's still a special bike.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

great --- another southern V rider---   welcome to the whole fam damily !!
start sow, take your time, allow for mistakes ,and dont give up .

and when you are done, and she fires up ,, remember, we will get you on the dragon, and it will make you talk!!!

dont be afraid of asking questions,, among 60 or so truly active forum members, we have more knowledge of how to make these things tick than even yamaha ever had-- and that is not just bragging .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kiawrench on December 19, 2006, 08:18:39 PM
great --- another southern V rider---   welcome to the whole fam damily !!

Heh heh...good point Kia.  I didn't even realize that.  I'll add him to the SOROV mailing list. ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

you will defenatly get the award for "deepest resurection" lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Coil Coyle

Max,
       With everything missing from your front end you have the perfect oportunity to just replace the whole front end. Go wander a motorcycle wrecking yard and get a complete front end thats got handlebars, wheel, brakes and headlight that you like. There's plenty of adapting knowledge among us members after you pick up something you like.

$0.02
;)
Coil

Max

I've already purchased forks that have the tripple and handlebars alrady on them.  For now I want to keep the front end looking stock.  Also I'm not familiar with any bike salvage yards near me in Manassas VA.  About the only modificaitons I'm planning on now are the tank, instrument cluster, and round headlight, but I am up for any suggestions that improve the bike or the cash in my pocket. 
A starter seems to be the primary item I need now. 
Here is another pic of the parts that came with the bike. 

Max

ugh, attached now.
Not the best pic of my cars, but at the top is my 944S2 Cab, to the right is the Volvo S60 and to the left is the hardwood floor (another project on hold). 
And yes, I was too lazy to move all the stuff from the edge of the garage before I painted the floor.