News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Paint Day Arrives!

Started by h2olawyer, June 12, 2007, 07:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

candy apple lime green

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Well, after getting all the stuff together, buying a new inline regulator, putting the new spray gun together, etc., etc., etc., The pumpkin is now the battleship.  It is in a nice hard coat of primer.  Supposed to be dry enough to sand in another hour.  Getting used to the new HVLP gun took a little time.  Used two large sheets of cardboard trying to set it.  Thought it was right, but still managed to get a couple sags.  Should sand out just fine.  If the light holds, I may get it painted yet tonight.  If I can't it may have to stay in primer until after the 25 year party.

Dad has an appointment to get some skin cancer removed tomorrow & it will require a skin graft as well.  That kind of shoots a hole in the entire day.  We go to the hospital @ 7:30 in the morning.  Surgery is set for 9:30.  If he feels up to it, he may be home in the evening.  I'll be coming home after the surgery (assuming all goes well) and may have time to do the color coat then.  At the very least, it will be sanded and ready to go this evening.

Yes, it will be a 'theme' bike.  Just not as involved as a Paul Jr. creation.  Besides, my dad doesn't scream at me (anymore).   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

ooooh ooooh oooh Mr. Kotter, Mr. Kotter

Ah nevermind...

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

The unveiling of THE COLOR!

Below are some photos of the freshly painted parts.  Tank, fender and side plastics are all done.  I was losing light as I finished and I noticed some thin spots.  Took some real bright light to see, but I know they're there.  Will probably show up in the sun as well.   ::)

At least it looks much better than it did when it was orange or orange & charcoal.

The paint is supposed to dry well enough to handle overnight.  Will install all parts Thursday afternoon.  Then it's to the auto parts store to get a yellow vinyl pinstripe kit.  The implement dealer has the leaping deer(e) logo decals.  Will get a couple of those as well.

The paint is CHEAP - $14 per quart from the local John Deere dealer.  There are a bunch of other tractor brands & hence colors out there.  Try Prairie Gold (Minneapolis Moline), Ford Blue, Massey Red (& / or Silver)  IH Red, Allis Orange,  Or do the opposite of mine & go with J.D. Yellow Line paint.  The paint is manufactured by Valspar.  How many John Deere tractors have you seen that have been sitting outside for who knows how many years & it still looks pretty good?  With a bit of buffing, that paint comes back to life.  Supposed to be very fuel resistant as well.  For the tank, fender & plastics (on an otherwise nekkid bike), I used less than a pint!  HVLP is amazing.  Haven't sprayed anything since those guns came out.  This project was mainly to get the feel of painting again & learn how to use the gun.  I'm pretty pleased with the result.

The color of these photos looks more like Kawasaki lime green, but the actual color is a bit darker - just like the John Deere tractors.

Thus, Pumpkin is now Tractor!  Kind of fitting since it has such an abundance of low end grunt.   ;D  After all, Nothing Runs Like a Deere!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

h2olawyer

Quote from: kwells on June 13, 2007, 08:41:05 PM
ooooh ooooh oooh Mr. Kotter, Mr. Kotter

Ah nevermind...

What do you want, Horschack?

H2O

kwells

haha...looking good H2

Can't wait to see it in real life

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Thanks k.  I'll have photos of it all together later on Thursday.  Could have come out better, but it will do for now.  If I have time on Friday, I may put another coat on it.  Directions say to recoat within an hour or wait for 36 hours, so recoating on Thursday is out.

H2O

ProfessorRex

YESSSSSS!!!!!  That looks pretty sweet!
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

h2olawyer

Rex - Hope you feel like plowing the back 40 next week!  Actually, no worries.  Haven't figured out how to mount the hydraulic pump, reservoir & three point hitch yet.   ;D

H2O

kwells

gotta break out the oxen I guess

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Hah!  I was pretty close to right!!  NICE!  Cool color.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

8) ...and I bet your insured with GIEKO  ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;) I like it, nice one h2o... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

dj

Looks great H2O.  It'll look even better with the pinstripping and the deer(e) logo on it.  Great idea for a unique theme.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

yesterday, I looked back at the "vehicle" clue and was going to guess John Deer... then I thought naw....

if you hook up a pto, the implement options are endless  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

67GTO

However........"Silver is still fastest"  ;)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

h2olawyer

inanecathode

Lol dude that looks great! I was fearful it'd be too close to my vision's green, but in reality it's nowhere near the same color.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

It is darker than the photos, but not a ton.  All I can say is it's John Deere Green.  The flash washed it out a bit.  I do need to do a second coat tomorrow.  Glad it dries fast!  May still be a bit delicate when I haul the bikes to WP, but it should be sturdy enough to ride by Sunday.  Not sure when I'll get the striping & decals on, though.  Maybe Sunday.

At least I can do the paint tomorrow morning so I'll have better lighting.

H2O

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 13, 2007, 08:37:55 PM
Dad has an appointment to get some skin cancer removed
H2O

h...How did your Dad's op' go... ??? Everything O.K. we hope...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

After 7.5 hours at the hospital, Mom Dad & I are all home, safe, sound & (relatively) healthy.  The Doc said the surgery went well.  Removed about 2 sq. inches of scalp & took a similar sized graft from his hip / thigh.  He has a cotton compression bandage stapled to his scalp which will be removed at the doc's office on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Doc was sure enough he got all the cancer cells he told us the boipsy on the underlying skin should come back negative.  Said it all looked healthy & normal just a few layers below the surface.

Appreciate the inquiry!

H2O