News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Levels of Membership

Started by mastergunny, October 19, 2007, 10:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

i spend lots of tiz-ime on this board
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

You would not believe the anxiety that many of us had when the site was hacked several times and we went for longer than a week without being able to log on to the site and post.   Oh! The HORROR!!  :o  :o  :o
I post here almost daily; Usually in the morning before work and at the end of the day.  I even figured out how to hack into the wireless network where I work so I can log on to ROV during the day and check on whats going on.
Alas, I do have a life though and have started back full time college (again) and my daily posting has slowed down a bit.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kenny

I kind of disagree with how the different levels are assigned,some of the replys I see posted are utter nonsense,now don't take this out of context but to me its not a Contest its about Riding a Vision!
                             Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

h2olawyer

True - but not only riding a Vision - getting a Vision ready to ride is of equal importance.  Some of us are just a bit more verbose than others (myself included!).  Someone switched my "maximum verbosity" command on a few years ago.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

supervision

My feeling is that the level system could be dropped, it has no point on this board.  We are lucky to have this forum, and all of us on it.  Keep on sharing info, ideas, pics.  Making new friends
" border="0

Kenny

Supervision,
                        Very well said! :)
                                Kenny
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

h2olawyer

SV - I agree.  Quantity of posts has no correlation with quality of posts.   :)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

How about something like:

Louthepou: 36% of meaningful posts;45% of semi-funny posts; 19% of completely useless stuff :)
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Tiffanator

I don't post a whole lot unless its about something particular that I'm working on with my bike. I don't have the knowledge to post helping other people and I try to keep away from the worthless posts. And yes, I do search thoroughly for an answer to my question before I make a post about it. Unfortunately I usually don't find an answer cause I tend to screw up in quite unique ways.
I do fully agree that quality of posts greatly outweighs quantity of posts and very rarely do I actually look at someones "status" on the board.
I've been here since February and am still a newbie. Yay.
Overall I think this is by far the best message board that I am a member of in terms of actually being helpful. No question is stupid enough and you get several different views and methods for solving each problem.
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

h2olawyer

Tiff -

You may not post a lot, but many of your posts are quite memorable!   ;D

H2O

Superfly

some of us get alot of posts trying to keep our bikes going!  Never a dull moment with the Vision!   ;D
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

ironb12s

Thought y'all might get a kick out of the Yamaha-Triples member rankings:   :)
New user   
Member   - 5 Posts 30 Days
Regular   - 100 Posts 90 Days
Veteran   - 600 Posts 120 Days

Extreme Veteran   - 750 Posts 180 Days
Elite veteran   - 900 Posts 240 Days
Expert   - 1200 Posts 360 Days
Triple Nutter   - 1500 Posts 720 Days
Need-a-life   - 2000 Posts 720 Days  (I LIKE THIS ONE!)

I think that those of us with more experience are more willing to post than those without.  It is a discussion forum, and the more voices and opinion expressed reflects the level of enthusiasm that we have for this, um, TOPIC.  Of course, some go off on tangents by their own accord...   ;D

But, I'd agree, the ranking is arbitrary, and doesn't really reflect the activities of most of the members.

Off to see how GSR does theirs, and I can tell you that there is a lot more flotsam over there...    :D

GSResource has a similar ranking system, knocked down to just:
Jr Member:  0-29 posts
Member:  30-99 posts
Sr Member:  100+ ...and the most posts by one there is 16,803. 

Intruder Alert is even simpler, no ranking from 0 to 37,035 posts.   :o

Of course, we're also looking at forums for bikes that have been around longer, and more folks on there than here.  That makes us "special".   ;D  I've also noticed that the more folks there are on a forum, the more flotsam is there, too.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Tanno

Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

ironb12s

I'll tell you, tho, 3 of our top 5 posters are threading dangerously close to that NEED-A-LIFE status...    ;D
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Cdnlouie

I certainly agree that the membership rating system is essentially an indicator of "ability to socialize."  It does take a while to understand who is careful about giving advice, and who is careless with comments, realizing that bad information may cause someone serious grief. Several "technical" experts are not necessarily frequent posters, but it is a great asset to have them available on the site.

Unfortunately, this can be an ego trip for some, so be assured that you don't need hundreds of posts to be important.

Lucky

Quote from: Cdnlouie on October 25, 2007, 01:07:09 PM
Unfortunately, this can be an ego trip for some, so be assured that you don't need hundreds of posts to be important.

Ya don't??!! Aw crap!!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

There is actually a level, besides Admin (which i believe is 5 red stars) after 'Expert' that is 'ROV God'.  I hit this level long ago, and shortly afterwards felt it was...excessive..  I asked Ron to drop my status back down to Expert, and apparently that affected everyones status as well (didn't know that would happen)

So, if my actions have denied anyone of 'God' like status, I applolgise.

--Lucky

BTW, to my friend & comrade DaveTn: congradulations on having a life!  :P

visionless

Okay Lucky,
   Your last two posts where really just one post that you split into two.  What are you trying to do, pad your stats.

Chris
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

Lucky