News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Avon AM26 Roadrider vs Metzeler Lasertec

Started by acee125, March 20, 2008, 10:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acee125

The Avon Super Venoms seem to be discontinued now. If I can't get any NOS Super Venom's which of the previously mentioned tires would you guys recommend? Have any of you tried either of them?

Thanks,

ACE

VisionMeister

I'm running the Avons with excellent results. 3500 miles and still rideable.
I know the Metzelers are excellent but expensive.
I've also run the Pirelli sport demons with excellent results, but probably not as much mileage.

Tiger

:) I won't buy anything else but Avon...Tried, tested and true 8)

8)........TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

joevacc

I second the Tiger motion.  I have not used the metzelers in quite a few years now but they were always more money and less milage for me.  I like the shape of the Avons much better.  I hope this next generations of Avons prove to be as good if not better that the super venoms.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Squirrels

I'm running the new Avon Road riders on my GPZ 750.  I'm also running Metzler Lazertecs on my Vision.  I was very impressed with the shape, handling, and grip of the Avons on the GPZ.  The sizes are similar between the two bikes.  The Metzlers on the vision feel great as well, and I've had no problems in rain or dry.  I have a feeling the metzlers are better in very wet conditions.  My previous tires on the vision were the older Avon supervenoms.  I liked those alot, but the rear would be a little too eager to lock up with too much rear brake.  For the money, I feel the Avons are just about as good as the Metzlers.

-erik
'82 Yamaha XZ550 Vision
'84 Kawasaki GPZ 750

h2olawyer

Vision rears are easy to lock up.  Doesn't matter what tire is on it.  I hardly ever use the rear brake on mine.  I do practice emergency stops with it a few times every riding season & also use it a bit when track riding.  Otherwise,, I avoid it.

The Super Venoms are most definitely discontinued.  My rear will have about 5,000 miles on it when I replace it sometime this spring.  I'm undecided on whether to put the RoadRiders on it or the Dunlop Sport Demons.  Whichever I decide, the other will go on Tractor so I can do a bit of side by side comparison.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

I'll be putting RoadRiders on both my V's.  Had a SuperVenom in my rear and a Roadrider in the front.  Not only did I find that the SuperVenom locks easy...I also find it sliding out when on the gas in a turn.  From going by feel the RoadRider is a softer compound but not by much.  I suspect that the SV also takes longer to warm up. 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

As a caveat to kwells post, his Super Venom rear was a bi-directional tyre that had the same tread pattern as the normal Super Venom front.  I don't ride hard, but the only time my rear has felt at all slidey is when hitting some sand.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Extent

Dang, I'm really sad to hear the SuperVenoms are gone, I really needed to get another set too :/ .    The time I tried the Sport Demons out I found that the front locked up really easy under heavy braking, I pulled those things off with less than 1k miles on them, put a fresh seat of Avons back on and never looked back.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

joevacc

Quote from: kwells on March 24, 2008, 01:50:40 AM
Not only did I find that the SuperVenom locks easy...I also find it sliding out when on the gas in a turn.  I suspect that the SV also takes longer to warm up. 

I have also found that the SV needed break in time.  1st 100 miles they were not as they would be.  Besides that I found the SV to be great and and I have ridden the hell out of many sets.  Sad to see them go as well.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Rick G

The only rear tyre I've had slide under hard braking , when new , was a Dunlop Elite, it took the darn thing 1500 miles  to bed in . A moron in a cage  pulled in front of me and hit the brakes , my lightest application  stopped the wheel dead and I started to slide, until I applied full front brake.  When buying tyres it pays to know how long they've been on the shelf, they get hard if the sit too long and don't behave as you would expect. There's a code on the tyre,that will reveal the date of mfg.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike