M2 exit test need to knows......

Started by vadasz1, August 31, 2009, 11:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

Below is a post from gtamotorcycle.com.  The poster just exited M2 to a full M license.  Thought anynoe near their exit time would like a good read. :police:

just finished Humber course and M test, this is what you need to know

Passed with no issues. Here is what you need to know:

MC=mirror check
BSC =blind spot shoudler check
LRL=look left right left

To let them know you are looking you must really exaggerate your head motion. If you have a monochrome helmet, put a line of tape on the back in some colour they can see - you want them to see all your head checks.

All the head checks may seem like a bit much, but you have to do it. If you dont do this now, do it for some days before you do the test, as you need to get into the habit. When riding, you quickly fall back into what ever pattern you have established.

Driving along:
- move your head to look at intersections, schools, hospitals, cross walks - and when going through industrial and residential areas with laneways you should generally keep your head sweeping around
- try to always be in your blocking tire track, except if there are obstructions
- avoid man hole covers and stuff that is slipery on the road, which lets them know that you are aware of these things. Watch this on corners.
- if you are on a stretch with nothing around, you should still MC about ever 10 seconds
- while making a corner, they are looking for smoothness, so hold a line and dont make corrections and your chin should be pointing where you want to end up

Roadside stop:
- dont stop in front of a hydrant, laneway, buslane. Dont put your signal on and then drive past a laneway before pulling over
- MC, signal, BSC, pull over, stop close to the curb, signal off, in neutral, stand down, stand up put your hands in the air
- MC, signal, BSC pull out, signal off, MC

Intersections
- if you driver through, look LRL as you go though, once clear, MC
- if stopping, MC, brake with lights on (not only engine braking), stop before the white line. Leave a bike distance if there is a car stopped in front of you
- turning right, stop at an angle across your lane to stop a car from coming in on your right
- making a turn, MC, signal, BSC, then make turn, signal off, MC and end up in the proper blocking position
- if turning left, you can move forward, but only one vehicle is allowed to do that at one time, so dont tag along with some one else
- if on the approach the light turns yellow and you can safely stop you are supposed to stop, not drive through

Highway
- while on sweeping on ramp, drive a curve as indicated above
- well before you reach the merge area, your signal should be on
- in the merge area, MC/BSC and pick your spot to enter
- accelerate to traffic speed while still in the merge area (80, 120, doesnt matter, you need to be at same speed as trafffic) . If there is a car approaching, it is better to let it pass and merge behind him then race fast to get in front. Because, you are supposed to have a 2 sec bubble around you. If a car behing you has to hit their brakes or take evasive action, you get penalized
- merge in to the spot you picked, signal off, MC - AND if you are going above the speed limit because thats what you had to do to synchronize with traffic, then you must slow down to the speed limit. If cars then pass you thats fine.
- they will expect a lane change, so MC, signal, BSC, change lane, signal off, MC
- leaving the highway, MC, signal, BSC, get into exit lane, as you are just exiting the highway, tap your brakes to communicate to the cars behind you are slowing, dont just engine brake.

I would suggest you warm up a bit before doing your test, but not enough that you are tired. Its about 30 mins and goes fast. Relax and all riding is good riding.

Good luck
!
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kev10104

funkamongus

Hmm is this the canadian drivers test?? It sure was a LOT less technical down here. We just had to go through some cones and go around in circles, then drive down the street going through some gears. Done. That sounds like a much more comprehensive program.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: funkamongus on August 31, 2009, 01:18:51 PM
We just had to go through some cones and go around in circles, then drive down the street going through some gears.

Keyhole test?  (or maybe that's a California thing, not sure whether you got yours in Ca or not.)

funkamongus

I own:

Tiger

:) In Canada its a three part graduated licencing system...

M1 Licence is your written test. Once you pass this you can go ride...with several exclusions:
1 - ZERO tolerance to alcohol...
2 - NO Highway riding...
3 - Unable to ride from sundown to sunset (10 minutes before and after I think)...
4 - No unqualified passenger allowed...
5 - ??? Don't remember, off hand :o

The M1 Licence lasts you 30 days...after which time you have to renew it and/or pass the M2 test ;)

M2 Licence is a basic rider test to make sure your equipped to ride...
Pass and they reduce the exclusions to one...ZERO tolerance to alcohol... :police:

The M2 exit course has to be taken in a given time...or your licence reverts back to an M1 :o !!!

M2 exit course...everything you've learned over a couple of years period is now down to a ridden test of all your riding skills :o Pass this and you get your full "M" licence...and no exclusions ::)

:-\ Hmmmmm, reminds me that I have to book my M2 exit course... :o ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

funkamongus

WOW,, thats quite extensive. Here in the "lower" states, you get a "learners" Permit, for the time between your written and your riding tests (if not the same day, it usually IS same day, but mine took about 45 days to get the riding appointment) same exclusions, no riders, no highways, etc. After your riding test (as described earlier, very basic) you get your regular Motorcycle endorsement. From my personal experience, I rode as a child on dirt bikes and had bikes for years, I knew how to ride even though I didnt have a bike for 20 something years. In my humble opinion, even though I wouldnt want to go through all that, I think its a better program that you guys have. Especially for a new rider. Good on ya, as the aussies would say.
I own:

[jh]

I got M3(class 6 here in BC) last year, I failed once because my blinker cancelation didn't turn off fast enough and sometimes I would forget to turn it off. They are correct, it is a hazard, but enough to make me fail........ it's questionable. So my second time around i made damn sure there wasn't a thing they could ding me with................... still had some points though. They're pretty picky, and those radio's can be hard to hear over wind and engine, kinda distracting.
wow!

h2olawyer

When I got mine (sometime back in the Dark Ages) there was a written test of some 50 questions.  Then the Driver's Examiner followed you out to the Court House parking lot where you swerved around some dots, accelerated to shift from 1st to 2nd gear and came to a stop.  If he liked what he saw, you got your motorcycle endorsement - after paying the $5 fee.

Now, most people in Colorado (& many other states) just take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider's Course.  Then all you need to do is take the card issued for passing the class in to the Driver's License Office & present the card, then pay the $15 (or $20) fee for the cycle endorsement.  I know things are becoming more involved for riders under 18, but for those old enough to vote, that's all there is to it.  Then you can legally ride any size bike on any road at any time.  No graduated licenses here.  Just what you want - a highly 'energetic' 18 year old on a new ZX-14.   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

funkamongus

yeah right?!?!?!?! the MSF class is pricey!!
I own:

Brian Moffet

But worth it.  I was following someone today who was riding like he (or she, couldn't tell) didn't have the bike for long.  However, they were doing everything correctly, just a little more slowly as if it had not quite become second nature.  They didn't drag their feet, their lines were good, there wasn't a lot of swerving.  This was on a Ducati no less.

h2olawyer

Budget cuts here have forced about 50% of the driver's license offices to close statewide.  That happened a few years ago.  Anyway, to get a motorcycle endorsement without doing the MSF course (about $150 here) you need to call ahead for an appointment to do the driving test.  They offer the riding test one day a week here and are several months backed up.  the motorcycle examiner works one day a week at each of five offices which are open from 9:30AM to 4PM.  So, if someone wants to legally ride, they either take the MSF course (a great idea anyway) or wait several months to take the riding part of the exam.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

chrisw

wow, i respect canada's licensing system now :) riding licenses should always be graduated to restrict new riders from getting into too much trouble. here in aussie its very graduated.

what it used to be when I got my license
1. do a basic riding course and a computer test, get your Learners permit: restrictions no alcohol, 250cc only, or upto 660cc if the power to weight is less than 150hp (or kW) per tonne.. i forget. which means anything upto 660cc has to be on the official LAMS (learner approved motorcycle scheme) register. 80km/h speed limit restriction. no passengers.
lasts 6 months

2. Do an advanced riders course and pass that... another computer test.. get your Provisional license (aka your P's) same restrictions as learner. lasts 1 year

3. pay your cash money and get your full license and have no restrictions, EXCEPT you cannot take any passengers on your bike within 1 year of your full license.

What it has become recently.

1. same as above, learners lasts for 1 year, eligable after 6 months for P's (because there is a few months waiting time to get into a course)

2. has changed to be the same as your car license here, 1 year on RED P's (90km/h speed limit) and 2 years on GREEN P's (100km speed limit) same restrictions otherwise.

3. full license!

You wonder why australia is the playground of all the best 250cc motorbikes, CBR250RR's FZR250's KR2's KR1's NSR's GSXR250's and all the regular ones.

funkamongus

OHHHHH.. makes sense.. thats a good program too but damn long. Mine was exactly like H2O..
I own:

chrisw

hehe, but for all the mystery involved in the XZ550 with most riders here, its a LAMS legal bike :D.... barely. despite it having close to 70hp, the weight is what keeps it legal. that and the massive power loss from the shaft drive.