Recommendations regarding fork boots?

Started by VK, May 10, 2010, 07:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK

My fork oil seals are leaking so need to be tearing open the forks to replace the seals.  Am thinking about putting fork boots on at this time as well, thinking that this might help extend the life of the seals.  Are fork boots likely to have a significant impact on the longevity of the seals, or is that more fiction than fact?  If you do think that boots are a good idea, do you have any recommendations.  I have a fork brace on my 82 V, if that matters to your recommendation.

Night Vision

depending on your fork brace, you may not be able to use fork boots.

doe the brace have the "lips" for dust covers

or is it flat across the top?

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

Gaiters were standard equipment on virtually all MCs since ,maybe, the beginning of time or at least the invention of the telescopic fork.  I think they are an excellent insurance policy against rock dings on your fork tubes.  My '83 has 88k miles on the factory fork oil seals, dust seals, and tubes.  They leak nothing.  Vs come stock without gaiters.  So, I really don't know what position to take.  Logic says one thing and my experience says another.  Go figure.

The next time my fork tubes come out I'll probably install gaiters, maybe.

VK

My fork brace is flat across the top, so gather that I will have to make a choice between the fork brace and fork boots.  That being the case, I may just continue going bootless.  Thanks for the sage advice!  VK

Brian Moffet

Any good recommendations on fork boots??

Raj1988

xs650direct.com . Good boots and not all that expensive. I got a set prior to my semi cross country ride.
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

supervision

Brian, I put on some that were too long to start with, I sectioned away some of the length, for a more custom fit.  They were aftermarket M/X  style.  Another thing was to give them some breathing holes, for quick exchange of air.  I use zip ties to hold them, I plan on looking under them pretty soon, as an inspection. Not a single bug has hit my forks, that's why I like them!
" border="0

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Cdnlouie

Funny I have never had as much as a ding anywhere on my Vision tubes, but have been machine gunned on my Venture.  It may be the type of riding you do that is a key factor.  When touring I catch everything, but kicking around town on the V and the odd daily tour does not run into anything.

I intend to fabricate a deflector for my Venture (something to work with my forkbrace) rather than go down the gaiter road. I have found a nice piece of stainless steel something or other that can be trimmed to cover the forward facing area of the tube and just enough to keep the sensitive zone safe (and not interfere with something).  I hated the look of them on the 70's bikes (no disrespect intended to those who use them) and have not recovered from it since. I must confess with one exception, that NV's red skunk does look great in them as part of the blacked out look  ;).

You gotta do what you gotta do though...

QBS

Clouie reminded me of the deflector concept.  It's a good alternative.  Something from the dirt bike aftermarket (there's a ton of stuff) will no doubt be rigable.

treedragon

I became a fan of fork boots years ago after a sustained speed blat in bug soup territory on the FZR1000 late one summers evening.
Next morning I was checking the steed out and was astounded to see solid bug splat all up the front face of the fork inners............ I couldn't see the seals lasting long like that.

These days, (and possibly more important in some circles), they help disquise the knitting needle thickness front forks.........   8)

akvision

You can buy used Beemer 13 rib gators on ebay.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

darkvision

I've been running gaiters on my Vision forks  for years. My brother bought them, I think they were just generic fork boots from Bikebandit or JC Whitney . They come in various colors, I have a black pair for my red & black Vision. They do a great job of protecting your fork tubes.

Rick G

You can install a fork seal of the correct dimensions above the fork base and clamp the gaiter to that.
George , who lives in Ottawa and used to frequent this forum , used CB750 Honda gaiters on his V.

My Suzuki VX800 has 41 mm forks and I'm still going to put gaiters on it. The VX has fork seals that "breath" at best even when new and need all the protection they can get
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Moody Trevor

I put gaitors on my first XZ - 600+ miles per week and well worth it.

Don't forget that they vent and moisture will get in easier than it comes out so be prepared to undo them on a regular basis to make sure that they are clean inside where fixed to the fork lower. I took the gaitors off my spare forks yesterday and the ali' has corrosion where the gaitor was clamped.

Note though that this may have been exasperated by the Brit' tendency to put salt on the roads in winter. You lucky people further south may not have that problem.

Trevor
Now: XZ550; Diamondback Sorrento; Moody 36S (I know it's not a bike - but it's home!)

Previously:
Honda ST70; RD350; Harley trail bike; Suzuki TS something; XS250; Honda moped; XZ550; XJ750

Rick G

lots of locations here use sodium chloride mixed with sand , although some use potassium chloride. We recognise rust ! I had a Ford pickup that had no place for the driver to put his feet, until I added a piece of sheet metal to cover the holes in the floor.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

QuoteI had a Ford pickup that had no place for the driver to put his feet, until I added a piece of sheet metal to cover the holes in the floor.

Gee Rick, I knew you were old, but i didn't realise you learned to drive in Bedrock!!!   ;D ;D ;D  8) 8) 8)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Quote from: Lucky on July 03, 2010, 09:17:49 AM
QuoteI had a Ford pickup that had no place for the driver to put his feet, until I added a piece of sheet metal to cover the holes in the floor.

Gee Rick, I knew you were old, but i didn't realise you learned to drive in Bedrock!!!   ;D ;D ;D  8) 8) 8)

:D ;D :laugh: :D ;D :laugh:
By the way, there's a town in SW Colorado, south of Grand Junction & northwest of Telluride - near the Utah border, named Bedrock.  It lies at the western end of the Paradox Valley.  The town consists of one building with a couple of (no longer functional) gas pumps in front.  Paradox Valley got its name because it has 2 rivers & both appear to run uphill through the valley.  Really cool optical illusion on a grand scale.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Yep ! Once we got an engine I covered the hole in the floor , that provided access for foot power!
Rick G