News:

Main Menu

Fork slide bearing damage

Started by macroars, April 29, 2008, 05:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macroars

I had to change the fork seals, but below the seals there are some plastic/teflon slide bearings (don´t know the exact name). One of these are damaged/worn (due to rust???). Are these replaceable? If so - what is the name of these? If not - can I still use them?
MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

Coil Coyle

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx?sb=2

If you can't get in; go to the root web site and create a user. The next screen will give you a psrts catalog link.

$0.02
;)
Coil

Night Vision

Quote from: macroars on April 29, 2008, 05:02:18 PM
I had to change the fork seals, but below the seals there are some plastic/teflon slide bearings (don´t know the exact name). One of these are damaged/worn (due to rust???). Are these replaceable? If so - what is the name of these? If not - can I still use them?

I just put OEM fork seals in two weekends ago and two others prior to that. there is nothing (OEM) that goes under the seals. Are you talkig about the teflon bushings at the end of the fork tube?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

macroars

Quote from: Night Vision on April 29, 2008, 08:13:18 PM
Are you talkig about the teflon bushings at the end of the fork tube?
That seems like an apt expression of what I am thinking of.

Can these bushings be replaced? ...or can this one be used as it is?

MacRoarS

House MD

macroars

MacRoarS

House MD

Night Vision

Quote from: macroars on April 30, 2008, 02:19:09 AM
Quote from: Night Vision on April 29, 2008, 08:13:18 PM
Are you talking about the Teflon bushings at the end of the fork tube?
That seems like an apt expression of what I am thinking of.

Can these bushings be replaced? ...or can this one be used as it is?

hmm, honestly, I never noticed or looked that closely at that area of the fork stanchion.... I was referring to the Teflon sliders at the bottom end of the fork tube...

anyone else have one handy to looky at?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Night Vision on April 30, 2008, 09:09:44 PM
anyone else have one handy to looky at?

I think you were thinking of this one, the white ring.  You can also see the inner ring inside the top of the fork tube in the photo, it's the lighter grey portion.  I didn't replace mine.

macroars

Thank you all this far. I have at least learnt one thing: Pictures communicates! 

Still I do not know what to do.

As the pic shows, some of the teflon (or what ever it is that coats this ring) has came off.

Since this seems to be a part of the outer tube, I wonder if I should replace the tube or not. 

MacRoarS

House MD

EH

That is the upper bushing. It is easily replaced. I took a flat blade screwdriver, heated and bent the very end to nearly 90 degrees. Then I filed it to round all edges. Gently and carefully pry the bushing out. If you don't replace it you will have slop and quick seal leakage. The lower bushing on the fork tube is supposedly unavailable and I have never tried to replace.

macroars

Thank you.
I cannot find this part in http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/partimage.gifx?d=22773,4,0. Are there non-OEM bushings sold somewhere?
MacRoarS

House MD

EH

I have some OEM bushings at home that I bought from a dealer. They were indicated on his microfiche when I bought them. Will try to get the part number for you tomorrow.

EH

well, i can't find the bushings or provide the part number. however, they were on the dealers microfiche display. might have installed them in my SRX.