Ignition Question:

Started by inanecathode, May 11, 2008, 02:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Why would the front cylinder spark with the wasted spark (kill switch on and off) but not whilst regular cranking/running?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lucky

it does, it's on the exhaust stroke so you never 'see' it..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

No, i meant the front cylinder isnt sparking at all, only when you flip the kill switch on and off.

Lucky

I would go thru the manuals tests & look over leathers FAQ well if you haven't in a while, but if it were me i think i'd start with the kill switch, sounds like the contacts are either worn or dirty & might be making good contact only in an area of the contacts are just off from where they sit while 'on'. 

Lucky

oh, also, pull the plug & see if you have a nice blue spark, your plug might have taken the weekend off... sometimes plugs will fire fine until they see compression (i've seen coils act this way too) so if your getting fire with the engine off but fliping the switch, that's a similar situation.

Rick G

I've had that happen on mine a few times, flick the kill switch and it will fire one cylinder, one time.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

I think that has to do with the way the coils are charged.  If I recall, the coils are kept at voltage, and when you want them to spark the voltage is dropped temporarily.  By flicking the kill switch, you are dropping the coil voltage but not bringing it back up.  That will cause the spark.

Brian

Rick G

Thats the conclusion I came to. The same thing as when points open on and old bike like my XL350.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

Quote from: inanecathode on May 11, 2008, 03:24:52 AM
No, i meant the front cylinder isnt sparking at all, only when you flip the kill switch on and off.

nope, still not what he meant.... sounds like no spark, except when the kill switch is fiddled.

TCI?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Quote from: Night Vision on May 11, 2008, 09:12:28 PM
Quote from: inanecathode on May 11, 2008, 03:24:52 AM

nope, still not what he meant.... sounds like no spark, except when the kill switch is fiddled.

TCI?

Ding ding ding!
We swapped the TCI with a known good one, still same problem.

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

joevacc

-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Tiger

Quote from: joevacc on May 12, 2008, 05:38:57 PM
replace the plugs

:) as well as the wires and cap's.... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Ken Williams

Check the sensor that picks up timing from the flywheel. 

inanecathode

Pick up sensors are good, coils are good, caps are good.

Brian Moffet

Rev limiter doing something weird?  (which I think cuts out the front spark).

I don't think the rev-limiter will ground out the coil (like the kill switch will).  Rather it would just not let the voltage drop to create the spark. 

You might have to put a timing light (the inductive kind that picks up the spark from the wire, or connects to the coil) and see if you get anything off the front plug.  You could also put an oscilloscope on the front coil to see if it's changing voltage like it should.

[edit]...  Sudden thought.  Isn't the tach run off the same coil as the front spark, so if your tach is registering you're getting something?

Brian

h2olawyer

Have you checked the air in the tires lately?   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Or you might try checking the gear lube level in the rear gear box :D :D :D :D :D :D
Rick G

YellowJacket!

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 13, 2008, 02:18:02 PM
Have you checked the air in the tires lately?   :D

H2O

Or your brake bar bolt....

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

ok, so checked that brake bar bolt....turns out it actually has nothing to do with my front cylinder spark issue.
I swapped in a spare coil...same thing

So...I swapped in a new stator/pickup coil and all the sudden SPARK

so then I swapped out left covers and put my good stator back in there and she still didnt want to fire right on that cylinder

So after Inane suggesting that I swap the plugs and me saying 'No', that makes no difference...I finally did just that and she started.

Ended up chasing an exhaust leak and 2 oil leaks but I think Euro Blackie will live to see another day after all.

Love that exhaust note.

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com