48(!) cylinder bike

Started by RobTx, July 22, 2003, 11:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobTx

Makes Blake's chain drive conversion look simple.  There's a video of it running here: http://www.sportsbikerider.com/useruploads/video/SBR99_48.wmv
Rob

Brian Moffet

That must be a real bitch to tune and sync...

Blake

eh..piece of cake...5 bucks says he just used a bunch of ductape to connect all those crankshafts together..

;D

haha..is it a drag bike or just a "daily" rider?  man...with that many cylinders hes probably getting like 2 GALLONS per mile..hehe..

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

rick_nowak

it could probably be safely said that the intake and exhaust plumbing has not been optimised for best and even flow to all cylinders.  think of how lean those rear cylinders must be running.
enjoy your day

sdinino

C'mon... that thing doesn't really RUN, does it?  :o
-- Steve D

RobTx

Hey Steve, it does run, see the video.  The starter is a small 2 stroke, weed eater engine or something.  Listen for it as it starts.  Then he puts the aircleaner pods on the carbs, then a few seconds later flips the choke levers.  Like Rick said, definitely not optimized in the intake and exhaust department, but it's an amazing piece of work.  I forget the guys name, but he's from the UK, and specializes in making V-6's out of Kawasaki H1 and h2's.  I'll try to find his name.
Rob

sdinino

Holy cow! Couldn't check the video link since I'm at work, but geez... that really is something.

Part of me is saying "Why???"... the other part is saying "wish I'd thought of it!".

Kinda like my reaction to the bike w/ the Viper v-12.
-- Steve D

Rick G

sounds like fun ,but all i got was several pages of code!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ArrrGeee

Rick, just right-click on the link and choose
"save target as" to save it to your hard drive
then double click on the file to view it.

Man that thing is pretty freakin wild!
of course, don't try to go around a corner with it ;D

Rob, did you see this thing in person ?
I'm trying to figure out how the heck he did that!?
it looks like it must have at least 3 crankshafts
or possibly 6! and then somehow geared together
to a transmission... Yee-Haw!

-Ron

Rick G

Thanks Ron,  The builder had a write up in either CW or  MC  a few months ago . He had a Kaw  V8 and a Kaw H1 5 cylinder . THe H1 would be fairly simple to do ( I was involved in a similar project using Yamaha YDS3 parts, that produced a 4 cylinder  500 that went like a scalded  dog.)   But the  V8  was something  else  and I'd like to see the 48 in person!
 This thing must be mostly H1 center cylinders  fed by reed valves  , and I'm betting on 6 cranks.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

DoubleVision

Man that is wild! Makes my V4 MAXVISION look tame. LOL My guess on size of that motor are:
1. If cyls from Kawasaki H1 cc's are 8000cc='s 488CI
2.If cyls from Kawasaki H2 cc's are 12,000='s   732CI !!!!!!!!!
Peace
Frank

RobTx

I didn't see it in person, it's in England.  The guy that builds them is Simon Whitelock.  As Rick said he builds all kinds of Kawi H1 variants.  It's 4000cc, as it uses Kawi 250 triple jugs.  Six crank shafts running 6 Jaguar V-8 distributors for spark.  The final drive is  shaft as well.
Rob

DoubleVision

Thats only 83cc juggs. For a 244CI motor that thing is huge! I've never seen that many put together. Wonder how he came up with the majic 48#? LOL I think its totally wild,but agree with Rick. 2 strokes without expansion pipes run like a dog. I wonder how she goes.Peace
Frank

sdinino

Finally got the video to download... man, I almost fell of my chair!  ;D Unbelievable!

I can't see how you'd ride it though. The seat is looks like its a good 4 feet behind the handlebars. You'd roast your legs on the cylinder heads trying to scootch up far enough to steer.
-- Steve D

Rick G

Hes got a new one !  Its 2 200cc kaw watercooled sixes  for a Vtwelve.  Its in this months Motorcyclist.  He'll take 50 k for it ,in case anyone has to have it.
Rick G