News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Exhaust leak.

Started by [jh], October 19, 2009, 11:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[jh]

Hello everyone,

I have a exhaust leak on my front cylinder that I can't seem to get rid of. I had put new gaskets in during my re-build but and than a couple of weeks of riding it started to leak (noticeable ticking sound) I figured that maybe I had installed my pipes + gaskets  incorrectly so I put new ones in and still there is a leak. If I put my hand near the pipe where it meets the cylinder I can feel air coming out. Any suggestions because I'm out of ideas? ??? Everything looks like it's in good order.
wow!

Tiger

:) When I do these, this is my way of achieving a tight seal...front and/or rear... ;)

Once the front header pipes are off and out of the way, I pry out the old gaskets and clean the working faces with a small stainless steel wire brush. Clean the mating surfaces on the header pipe(s), again with a wire brush...making sure all surfaces are completely clean and dry.
Wearing blue nitrile gloves, I put some RED RTV Silicone on my fingers, take the gaskets and smear with the RTV and put in to the header recess on the engine. Reinstall the header pipes. Once everything is back together, I start the "V", (without revving her up), let her idle for a few seconds and then shut her down. Leave over night to let the RTV cure and.......VOILA!!! A completely tight seal is accomplished...works every time... ;)

8).......TIGER........ 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Kid Jedi

red rtv is good to 500f exhaust gas temps are around 800F
however using rtv to make sure that the gaskets are in the right spot when the pipes are attached is a great idea

the exhaust gaskets are supposed to Compress in to the correct shape.

you have to tighten down the exhaust enough that the gasket are deformed.
Loves to over think things.

[jh]

Just got this finished a couple a days ago thought I should let yall know that it works great. Thanks Tiger.  ;D
wow!

Tiger

:) Superb, good news... 8)...and your welcome mate... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!