Reserve tank

Started by §pace_§uitor, November 21, 2011, 09:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

§pace_§uitor

Hi folks,

I'm a brand new rider, I've owned my 82 Vision for a month and so far I have run out of gas twice.

It would be really handy if I could find the reserve tank to avoid getting stranded again, but I'll be damned if I can find it.  I even have the original owners manual but it says nothing.

WHERE WHERE WHERE is the reserve tank fill spout?   ???

Sincerely,

-Noob.

"I will sit right down
Drifting into my solitude over my head,
Waiting for the gift of sound and vision..."
-D. Bowie

Re-Vision

Space_Suitor, look on the left side of your gas tank and you will see a petcock with three different switch positions, yours is probably set to the RES position. The next time you fill up, set petcock to ON and when you run out of gas just switch to RES and start to look for a gas station. It's possible that the filter that is part of the petcock may have become dislodged and that would cause the reserve to fail to function.     BDC

P.S. Look on page 11-13 of Owner's Manual for more info.

Rikugun

Welcome to the site and that's a clean looking '82 you've got there. I like the crash bars and fork gaiters.

Regarding the "reserve" tank - I'd suggest re-reading your owners manual pages 12 & 13.  ;D  The reserve fuel is simply some of the tank's volume set aside for emergency use and is accessed via the fuel valve or "petcock". Normally you operate the bike with the petcock lever on the "ON" position. If you run out of gas you'd turn it to the "RES" position to utilize the small amount of gas remaining in the tank. In these 2 positions fuel flows with the engine running only.

There is a third "PRI" position where fuel will flow if it's running or not. This is typically used to refill the carb bowls when they've been run dry or purposely emptied for storage or the like.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

RedBaron

She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

QBS

Space_, have you attended a rider training course?

§pace_§uitor

Thanks guys.

I run the bike with the petcock in ON, and each time switching to RES did not restart the bike.

I dunno...I know a thing or two about cars but motorcycle mechanics are still a mystery to me.  I spent the majority of my money buying the thing and haven't been able to afford to bring it by a bike shop for a complete inspection. But I got a good price, paid $1,000.  Owner was a meticulous older gentleman with 3 matching custom cars in his garage and he took great care of it.  I believe I'm the 3rd owner).

I suspect there is something that needs to be tightened or replaced in the front end.  The forks compress and re-spring nicely but there is an unnerving rattle over bumps that hand-tapping does not re-create.  Also, the front bearing has a light squeak when rolling it in neutral (engine off).

It's got some toasty-hot after-market heated handgrips.  And saddlebags which....turn out to not be waterproof.   :(   :laugh:
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

§pace_§uitor

Yes, I took the rider's training.

It was very helpful, and I'm glad I got to do it before it started pouring out.  (Pacific NW winters, who needs 'em??)
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

fret not

I think your petcock needs to come out for inspection.  Is there any fuel leaking around it?  If there is, the rubber disc with the holes in it may have disintegrated.  You probably have lost the stand pipe that fits inside the nylon filter screen.  Parts are available most of the time, not cheap usually, but very important for operation and safety.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

§pace_§uitor

Fuel does not seem to leak from petcock, altho there are two hoses noticably coated in oily grime.  They both run to the mysterious silver/plastic triangle on the right side of the bike.  What is that weird looking thing?

Also has a problem of getting choked out and gasping for air when accelerating between 22-35mph.  An auto driver engaged me in conversation on the road one night and asked if my bike had this problem because his had  it as well.  He said it was a common problem on these bikes because of a large carburetor.
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

YellowJacket!

Hi there,

Follow the petcock hoses a little more carefuly.  The "triangle" is the much maligned YICS which is a pressurized chamber that is supposed to help increase performance by scavanging a little pressure and recirculating it to help the fuel burn better. (very simplistic explanation)

As far as the reserve, it is possible that the petcock/fuel valve needs to be cleaned as these bikes have been around for a while.  Even one that has been well cared for- especially if it hadn't been ridden for a while is prone to getting goo and gunk bonded to places you just don't want it bonded too.

My personal fuel meter is a small flashlight that I shine into my tank.  I also rock the bike back and forth to listen before I ride.  As far as the reserve goes, it is relative as it may last a few miles or more at best.  I've found out the hard way.  After riding your new Vision for a while, you will realize about how far you can go on a tank and keeping an eye on the odometer, you'll know when its time to fill up again.

Welcome to ROV

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

Space_,FYI, my '83 wants reserve at approx. 160 miles and I'm walking at approx. 200 miles.  If you don't already have one, get the Haynes manual or Luckys' very comprehensive CD.  Doing this will greatly flatten your learning curve.  Welcome to RoV.  We look forward to helping you get to love a really great motorcycle.  Cheers.

Rikugun

When you run out of gas it may take some cranking to refill the carbs once the petcock has been turned to the "RES" position. Sometimes it's helpfull to first turn the petcock to the "PRI" position and let it sit for a minute to refill the carb bowls. As fret-nut suggested, if the petcock is not flowing fuel in the RES position, it's going to have to come off for inspection and repair or get used to using the trip odometer and refilling at safe intervals.

One more thing, and I'm not insulting your intelligence here but you did sign your first entry as Noob..... ;)   Are you sure you are running the bike in the petcock's "ON" position? If you've missed the little cast in arrow and are running on reserve, once you run out of gas the tank is then empty :(
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

:) Not a bad idea to pull the petcock and give it a clean/rebuild...this will help:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fuel-Petcock-Kit-Yamaha-SR250-XS400-XJ550-XZ550-XJ650-/310359965393?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4842e53ed1

Just to clarify...

* The 'ON' (run) position is at six o'clock. The petcock needs vacuum to operate (suck fuel through).

* 'RES' (Reserve) is at 12 o'clock...

* 'PRI' (Prime) is at three o'clock. You need to use 'PRIME' to fill the carb bowls when the Vision hasn't been started for a few days...(Takes around 30 to 60 seconds'ish!!).

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!