News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New battery advice?

Started by §pace_§uitor, December 12, 2011, 03:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

While considering the talk about  AGM's and lead acid batteriess remember how the battery gets it's charge in the normal operation of the bike.
  I am running AGM's in all the bikes as they last longer, top ups  are secons away, and the Visions are easier to start.
           Cheers Ken S. ;) 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

supervision

jasonm, when I bought the battery nine years ago, the only charger it ever saw was my half amp charger.  It came from Modesto Battery, here in Ca. at the time they said only charge if it gets down to 12.5, after living with it for acouple of  years, knew what they ment, after that I only charge with half amp, and it was good to go.   i started thinking, how this going to end?  Well sure enough, one day while out i Snelling,Ca. , it cranked slow, got home, shut off, checked voltage, still high,  next morn v still ok, try to start, no turny good.  Thats enough live out of it for me, I called, they were still in bussness, wicthis a surprise, cause if the batt lasts forever, they should be gone!   I gave them eighty bucks, and when home with a new one.
" border="0

supervision

Iforgot to mention, last year the low mile engine donor bike, that i found just three blocks away, came with a nearly new wallyworldagm. The guy was cool and let me just push it home to be sure of it, before buying it. Ichecked the voltage on it and is was no good, so i put my other agm it, and i had it running, around the block right away, the charging plug was smoked and the carbs needing cleaning, but it sounded perfect, and shifted perfect. The po is not a wrench, i think he probably smoked the wallyworldagm, cause the charging system wasnt working and his last attempt to run it, had been total loss, thus prolly charging HIS WAY, witch belive me, he couldnt find his ass, I felt sorry for him but some people souldnt buy something that needs work.
" border="0

jasonm.

Quote from: Rick G on December 14, 2011, 08:47:06 PM
I put a  Deka AGM battery in my Vision in 2006 , I transferred it to the VX800 in 2008 . it is just now requiring a jump when temps are in the  high 30s to low 40s , Ill get another AGM soon, I'm sold on them. My experience with Walmart lead acid batteries , has not been good they have failed in 2or 3 years

Update:  Upon examining the terminals on the battery I discovered the bolts loose, I apparently did not follow my own policy and tightend them with a Phillips screwdriver. It is absolutely necessary to tighten them with a 10 mm wrench , don't break them off  but snug them so as to create a secure connection. After a charge its fine.
THE PHILLIPS FOR THE BATTERY AND OTHER SCREWS IS #3. Most beople don't know what a #3 looks like and use a #2, which trashes the screw. I use my #3 and it fits PERFECT and can tear the termianls off if needed. no 10mm needed here.... :)
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

I use a#3 , been around the block a couple of times . I still believe in applying a 10mm wrench , especially on atv's which seem to lead a harder life. Part of the equation is owners who leave the terminal screws loose , also my arthritis makes it difficult for me to trust my grip on a screw driver.
I ran into the problem with our set up guys , who chronically would not tighten them properly.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

Rick, have you tried a T handle screwdriver to aid in your grip?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

Used to have one , in the sixties. Most of the time  I use an 3/8  air impact, or an air ratchet. for small stuff ,I'll use a battery drill , with the appropriate tip. This comes from my trade as a HVAC tech. Almost everything is done with a battery drill.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kenny

I thought this was a M/C Battery run..what gives??
                            Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

jasonm.

I like a 1/4 drive too. A normal rachet is good for me.  But I would be afraid of stripping or over-torquing with that machine ...when used on the battery terminals or side cases. The terminals are just lead...you know...oh help...lead poisoning...ugh...call the feds... :police:

Rikugun

If it has sufficient power to free frozen screws you'd otherwise use vice grips on, it'll probably tear up a battery terminal. Easy with the trigger finger!  :o  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

jasonm.

Quote from: Lucky on February 28, 2012, 07:46:18 AM
It's not strong enough to hurt the terminals.  it says 700 inch pounds in the specs, which should be somewhere in the 60 ft lb range, but there's no way it's that strong.
70 in/lb is a lot...over 50 ft/lbs. So I checked...had old battery in the garage. Used my torque wrnech setr at 50ft/lbs...hello, cracked and tore the lead terminal off. :o

supervision

the only time to use a powered tool is to take something apart, never back together!!
" border="0

Lucky

Your right, it's a shitty tool.  nevermind.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

You should probably get rid of it. Tell you what I'm gonna do....      You have my address, why don't you send it to me before you hurt yourself or break something. You don't have to thank me. It's the least I can do for a fellow Visionary.  ;)  :)  :P

Re-Vision

Where does one find the specifications for tightening battery terminal bolts?     BDC

fret not

So how do you figure 70 inch lbs. = 50 ft. lbs.?  There are 12 inches in a foot last time I looked.  70 divided by 12 = 5.84.  Maybe your decimal slipped. ;D
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Jason did not use a "battery terminal bolt spec" but rather a conservative 50 ft. lb. figure as Sears claims a max torque of 700 in. lbs. on that tool. He mistyped 700 as 70.

edit: Re-Vision and fret nut your confusion may be a result of Lucky having removed his posts where he quoted the power claims from Sears yet assured no damage could be done to the battery terminals.

All kidding aside, I'm sure if the trigger is modulated it can be safe to use on battery bolts if you were so inclined to use it. I don't think it has adjustable torque settings but does have a variable trigger and electric brake.

Cdnlouie

To err is human; to forgive, divine! (Alexander Pope)

(My apologies for the thread corruption, but I think that is moot now) I have to say that Lucky's tool is a really sweet little piece.  I recently bought a Mastercraft which looks exactly the same and it is a kicking little workhorse. I would not trust my hand with it on the battery terminals, but that in no way limits its wonderful applications.  Thanks for mentioning it Lucky as it is a kicking tool.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

First off, I'm not sure it's appropriate to comment on Lucky's tool  :o

And secondly - if you feel you must comment on it - did you have to characterize it as " a really sweet little piece"?  :-[  Couldn't you just say it's a "really sweet piece" and leave it at that?   :D  ;D