A Few Questions???

Started by helmsman65, January 30, 2003, 05:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helmsman65

I recently purchased my second Vision...owned one in 1982...traded it for something with a roof once I got out of college....had to have another. I had this bike shipped from MI to SC and it is in excellent shape...low mileage...well cared for.  A leaky waterpump is about the only problem and this has been well covered on the General Board...thanks.  I do have a few questions:
1.  As I remember being the case in 82, I find the stock grips
     to be to small...uncomfortable.  Can anyone recommend
     a specific grip to address this (ordering info would be
     helpful)
2.  I would like to get a OEM fairing...a 83 fairing would be
     great...but good ones, complete and in good condition,
     seem to be darn near impossible to find.  Anyone tried
     the Rifle Nightflight fairing?  Any other newer ones out
     there that maintain the sporty appearance of the bike?
3.  Any suggestions on a short list of spare parts that I
     should start to stockpile in anticipation of future problems?
I am pretty good with sailboats but not real mechanically inclined when it comes to bikes (although it would appear I better start learning)..the local Yamaha dealer said they wouldnt touch the bike but a local, reputable shade tree bike
mechanic recognized the bike as I pulled up and said as long
as the problem isnt electrical, he would work with me on keeping it up...I figure thats a start :).  The strong network
of Vision riders and this website was a major reason I decided
to go for the bike...I am really impressed.  Ive sent a check off to ROV and look forward to keeping this classic bike running and on the road.....any help is appreciated

George R. Young

Grips: if by 'too small' you mean 'too short', you can move the mirrors inwards, replace the throttle tube with that from an FZ750 and grips from a VF750. Makes big hands happy.

Recommended spares: stator or two, maybe a TCI.

QQBS

Welcome to the group!  RE spares: Never leave home without a spare TCI.  During the last 19 years and 87k miles that I've lived with my '83 two have failed without warning.  Very thankfully, both cases occured in my neighborhood as opposed to the Big Bend country of West Texas where I've known to roam.

I really like foam grips.  They're readily available at most decent bike shops for not too much money.

If you haven't done so already, study up on starter clutches, stator connectors, spark coil connectors, fuse box maintenance, in line fuel filters, and the use of gasoline dewaterer.  Again, Welcome.    Cheers.