A sobering sight...

Started by Lucky, August 31, 2003, 03:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

On my way home from work today (my wife & I own our own business) we were comming down the interstate & I remarked to my wife that traffic was very heavy & slow for a Sunday. ?As we came around a curve I spotted a thin colum of black smoke rising in the distance. About 1/2 mile up the road, traffic was giving a wide berth to the right, & it was obvious that there was a vehicle on fire.

As we came up to the scene we saw (my boys, 9 & 11 were with us) a motorcycle on the other side of the road (seperated by a median) fully engulfed in flames, the fat rear tire was the only recognizable part left. 60 yards further down was a big white SUV with the front caved in to the windshield. ?As we passed with the morbid facsination that accompanies such events, I did happen to see a half helmet & one sneaker.

While typing this, with the news on, they reported that the biker jumped the median, hitting the SUV head-on, & was killed instantly. ?One of his buddies said that "he didn't know what happened, we came around the curve & he just flew off into the median."

For those of you who are new to motorcycling, there is a situation called "Target Fixation" ?when you could be riding, see something that catches your attention, & because a bike goes where your looking, (remember your MSF course?) the next thing you know, your heading straight for the thing you were staring at.

My point is a (not so) gentle reminder to please BE SAFE & AWARE while your riding, wear a helmet, riding jacket with armor, at the very least heavy denim ?jeans & good sturdy boots. ?We all love the Vision, & because this is a sporty bike probably, at times tend to ride beyond our limits (guilty). ?No one here wants to read a post from someones wife/brother/son, that someone here is in the hospital, or worse.

End of the sermon :)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Silver_Bullet

Lucky, truer words cannot be said; we have probably all seen similar tragic incidences in our lives.  I am now recovering from a freak accident Fri.  Working at a football jamboree, directing traffic on four lane highway, had traffic stopped, 16 yr old (no driver's license) kept moving, slowly, until bumping my leg.  Tried to jump to side, but left front tire ran over left ankle.  Not broken, little painful (not nearly so as recent damage to Vision).  Caution is a good watchword.  Everyone stay safe.

Mark
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.