A whole new oil debate...

Started by MotorPlow, March 01, 2005, 03:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

Ha, just when you thought you had it all figured out, look what Mobil1 did to you: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70285

Make sure you follow the link in the second post for more detailed discussion on the "New" Mobil1.

Enjoy,
Chris F.

Lucky

I've been scepticly watching those commercials.

since I tend to change the oil in my bike twice a season, weather it needs it or not, and i'll be adding the oil cooler in the spring, i'll stick to the castrol 20-W50 i've been using at $2 a quart. I have been wanting to try the Spectro golden (?) Jason & others praise. my problem is that even if it's as good as they say, I'll still want to change the oil twice a season. i'd want to do that even with the 'extended life' stuff.

my vehicles generally leak/burn enough oil that I don't bother changing it, just the filter, lol  ;D

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

That is the good thing about the vision, between burning oil, and most of them leaking from the stator cover, we are constantly put fresh oil in there!!  At least we are restoring the viscosity (untill the stator fries!!) ;D

Sometimes I amuse myself!! ;)

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

jasonm.

Guys, try Castrol Syntec 20w50 @ $4.50/qt. I use it most of the time now. The Golden Spectro considering it is a semi-synthetic is now overpriced $6/qt.  I judge my oils strictly on shifting action. Castrol Syntec is better than the Golden Spectro for me. Even Castrol Syntec Blend is as good or better then the Spectro. Castrol syntec Blend is about $2.70/qt.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

MotorPlow

I just ordered the Castrol 20W50 49%/51% semi synthetic blend.  I will be trying that and see what I get out of it.  I think I paid $4 a liter.

~Chris

joevacc

Since the first oil change I used the Castrol GTX in my bike.  When I found out about the Spectro, many years ago, that is all I have used.  I will definitely give the Castrol Syntec a try I think it is fantastic oil.  The Golden Spectro makes the bike shift much better. If the Castrol Syntec is as good or better - I am all for saving some money!

JV
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller