NO!!  My vision just had a nervous breakdown!

Started by Blake, November 01, 2004, 10:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

It's a sad day today..  i was going to go syncronize the carbs and put back on the YICS that i just resealed..  well.  let me first say that the past few weeks its been raining dogs and cats here, and i "forgot" to put the cover on the bike out in my apartment parking lot.  and the past week it seemed to get harder and harder to start (water in the fuel tank i assumed). so today i was going to rememdy all of the problems...or so i thought.

As i sat on the bike, and turned the key, everything looked normal.  i put the choke on full, twisted the throttle twice (my normal starting procedure) turned the kill switch to run, and then hit the start button.  thats when i hear a slight "pop" or "thud".. whatever you want to call it, i've heard it before.  It was a short just happening.   :'(  all the dash lights go off.  nothing responds.  i turn the key on and off a few times hoping its a one time deal.  nope.  so i check the fuses and everything looks fine.  then i go check all the wires up front.  it's definately something up there, since thats where the noise came from.  i couldnt immediately see anything, so i came to the realization mother nature had punished me for leaving my dear vision in the rain the past couple weeks.  :-/  and im quite busy this week so the earliest i'd be able to look at it is saturday..  ugg.  and its 81 today too!  perfect riding weather.  

anyway.  Believe me.  this isnt the end of my vision.  I bought this bike for 100 bucks because of electrical problems, and it didnt stop me before.  It will come back.  but right now im thinking now would be as good of time as ever to go ahead and make a new wiring harness (toyed with the idea before-buy all new wire and connectors and just make my own).  since this harness has definately seen better days, why not start anew and give it a fresh lease on life.

Over here at virginia tech, our thanksgiving break starts the 20th..  and im almost tempted to just wait till then and truck it back home, so i can have a whole week to go over everything and get it going good for the spring.  

So i regretfully have to inform you all that i will be vision-less for a while and will have to become a designated cager-my worst nightmare.  but belive me, this vision will live again very soon.

I think i'll go figure how how much wire and connectors I need to buy and see if my hopes to make an all new harness can become reality (translation - affordable..i think last time i looked at it i could build one for 70 bucks with all new waterproof parts..)  

just remember everyone.  RAIN IS THE ENEMY!!!  :'(

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Superfly

I had something similar happen to me, the TCI did not like the rain..... check that, Creating a wiring harness sounds like a great challange, good luck with that!!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

Good luck with building the new harness.  Hopefully we won't end up calling you "Sparky"!  ;D ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

I've found my ign start (pushbutton & kill) switch doesn't like moisture, and since it deals with the higher amperages in the bike (headlights) it's suseptable.  also, check the starter circut relays, a new harness won't help if the relays are full of corrosion, which is common
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Josh M

Rain is definately not a friend of motorcycles.  I too have toyed with the idea of making my own wiring harness.  I figure I can probably get some decent connectors from K&L and get the wire from radio shack or something.  I also thought about making a wiring harness for my Goldwing project bike, since I've taken almost everything off, that bike should be 'relatively' simple.

I'm sure that making a new wire harness would instill a thorough knowledge of the electrical sytem.
shiny shiny....

Rob_OS23

Well, if anyone does successfully make a harness, write down instructions on how to make one ;D

GA_Wolf

Don't I remember a while back that someone had a similar problem and it was a fuse or connector or something inside the headlight bucket?  

Blake

actually that was one of the first things i checked..  i remembered there was that single fuse up front. (still have no clue what its for.. .is it an extra headlight fuse?)  it checked out fine, and seemed to be one of the better protected connections since i liberally sprayed lithium grease all over it.

If it wasnt for my tests today id be out there getting it done since it seems its going to be another 70+ degree day here in blacksburg va.  I swear someone hates me..  this unusually hot weather in november here in SW VA and i cant even go out for a ride..  :(  haha

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Superfly

I have re-wired a couple of bikes now, and I noticed that under the seat, by the area of the fuse box wires, there is a piece of clear tubing on the outside of the black electrical tape.  I have no idea what this is.  Does anyone else know?

Lucky

the fuse in the headlight is for the radiator fan.
--Lucky

Josh M

Quotethe fuse in the headlight is for the radiator fan.
--Lucky

Huh??  that's a weird place to put it...
shiny shiny....

Lucky

Rick G

It seems like they forgot about it and  added it as an after thought.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

sdinino

I'm not convinced that fuse in the headlight bucket is really necessary - if you look at the wiring diagram that circuit is already fused. The fan gets its power from the 30A main circuit. My best guess is that the 10A inline fuse in the headlight bucket was supposed to blow first in case of a fan problem while leaving the 30A main intact. I'd rather have the main blow and alert me to a problem, since nothing would work at that point. When I redid my wiring two years ago I eliminated it with no ill effects yet.

Superfly, the clear tubing outside the fuse box contains a diode that (I think) prevents feedback between the starter cut out circuit and the neutral indicator circuit. It's been a while, I have to admit I don't recall exactly what the diode does anymore.

I have to admit I also considered completely redoing the wiring too - I've always hated the rats nest inside the headlight. But straightening all that out would mean customizing all the connectors, meaning that I'd never again be able to use stock components without modification.
-- Steve D

Superfly

I have thought about cleaning up the connections in the headlamp myself, (directly connecting them) I know my charging system would be happy, but if I ever had to get in there, I would not be happy!!  I might just direct connect the ignition switch....

MotorPlow

Blake,
I have a heated ride in basement/workshop.  I live in Callaway (30-45 Minutes from Tech).  If you want to work on it here or just store the vision for the winter, you're welcome to do so.  Plenty of tools and always looking for an excuse to buy more.

To get to my house, simply take Rt 8 out of Christiansburg to Floyd.  From Floyd take Franklin Turnpike past the parkway where it turns into Five Mile Mountain Road.  I don't live far from the other end of 5 Mile Mountian Road.

Truck it over, I have plenty of room.

~Chris
Callaway, VA