News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

A Vision came with my house woohoo

Started by joe82, September 13, 2006, 01:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe82

Hello everyone - my first post
A black Vision came with my house. The guy was going to keep it but then ended leaving it here.
It has 5838 mi on odometer
The guy said it ran good just needs battery but its been sitting for a year.
Looking at pictures I think it’s an 82 but how can I tell for sure? by the vin number?
Also can I try to start it with a car battery? I don't want to blow out an electrical part so didn't try it yet.
looks like a cool bike to ride so was thinking of fixing it if it does not need too much.
thanks

h2olawyer

Hi  Joe -

Welcome to the forum!  Novel way to acquire a Vision.   ;D

On the steering neck, there should be a white tag.  It will have the date of manufacture on it.  Some other ways to tell - makes it more likely, not difinitive -

Full fairing
dual front disc brakes
fuel gauge
black exhaust
black & gold rims
air forks
140 MPH speedo (US versions)

Those are the most visible differences between an 82 & 83 Vision.  All 83s were black & gold.  US 82s came in Brilliant Red, Star Silver & Black.  Most 82s didn't have any fairing, had a single front disc brake, no fuel gauge, chrome exhaust, black & silver rims, no air forks & an 85 MPH speedo.

Using a car battery to jump start it is OK - just make sure the car isn't running.

These are very fun bikes & generally fairly inexpensive to get running & maintain.

Before you get too excited, I'd make sure to change all the fluids - gas, oil, brakes, coolant & drive shaft.  Also make sure the tires are in decent shape.  The carbs will likely need a good, thorough cleaning after sitting.  Visions require spotlessly clean carbs to run properly.

Good luck & let us know how your (hopefully minor) project goes!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ps2/bikevision

welcome to the vision family. these bike are fun to own and after you get her running she will only need minor maintence though the years.  one thing to add to what H2O said is this post http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=4688.0  it WILL save your life.   

so where you from and pics of the bike would be cool.

Tiger

:o Hmmmmmm....Think I will have to go house hunting... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;)
8) Hello and welcome to your extended "family", as I'm sure your aware.... ::) The ONLY site truely dedicated to the Vision.... 8) Anytime you need help, advise, part(s), etc, etc.....just log on and ask.... ;) There will always be some-one here to get you thru'.
Where abouts on this planet are you located....... ??? You may have "Family" near you.... :o

;D       TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Superfly

Now that is a good find!  Congratulations!  A little work to the bike, and you will see why all of us here love our bikes so much.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

YellowJacket!

or,...you paid $150,000 for the Vision and got the house for free. ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

vavision

It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

joe82

thanks for the replys I'm in RI
I found the date 11/81 on the front frame tag.
It has a fairing but looks like its aftermarket.
I have a 81 GPZ 550 that I had since 81 ...also a cool bike.
would like to get the Vision going for a "guest bike" when family and friends come to visit in summer.
hooked up a battery and it turns over pretty good and gets spark but didn't fire. Does not seem to be getting fuel into the cyl.
Had to stop working on it but will try again this weekend.
This thing even has its tool kit.
One bad thing is it looks like the guy wet sanded the tank as it has a dull finish but the rest of the bike has good paint.
will get some pictures this weekend also

YellowJacket!

Quote from: joe82 on September 14, 2006, 12:40:08 PM
thanks for the replys I'm in RI
I found the date 11/81 on the front frame tag.
It has a fairing but looks like its aftermarket.
I have a 81 GPZ 550 that I had since 81 ...also a cool bike.
would like to get the Vision going for a "guest bike" when family and friends come to visit in summer.
hooked up a battery and it turns over pretty good and gets spark but didn't fire. Does not seem to be getting fuel into the cyl.
Had to stop working on it but will try again this weekend.
This thing even has its tool kit.
One bad thing is it looks like the guy wet sanded the tank as it has a dull finish but the rest of the bike has good paint.
will get some pictures this weekend also

How funny,

Where in RI?  Im from North Kingstown and Lucky is from East G.

I have been living in TN for 23 years and Lucky just moved here.

David

YellowJacket!

Hey Lucky,

Did you accidentally leave one of your bikes behind when you left Rhode Island?

;D

David

Night Vision

Quote from: joe82 on September 14, 2006, 12:40:08 PM
looks like the guy wet sanded the tank as it has a dull finish but the rest of the bike has good paint.

you'd be surprised how well you can shine these old tanks up with generous amounts of rubbing compound, polishing compound, clear coat restorer and elbow grease.

there's plenty of paint on them so don't worry about rubbin it off. cheaper than a paint job too  ;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Definitely an 82 model.  There were 2 styles of sport fairings sold by Yamaha for the Vision.  It could be one of those.  Your carbs are likely the starting problem.  They really need to be spotlessly clean.

I had a friend who owned a GPz550 around the same age as yours.  Great ride.  It's the bike I took to get my motorcycle license endorsement back in 82 or 83.  He got run off the road by a concrete truck shortly afterwards.  Collapsed lung & cracked vertebra.  His Simpson Bandit helmet was destroyed.  He was wearing jeans & a heavy non-armored leather jacket.  At least his sliding & rolling were in a grass median & not on pavement.  He hasn't been on a motorcycle since.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

don_vanecek

Just to add to what Lucky said, since you do indeed turn over, if the bike will run for a brief second with alittle raw gas dumped in it (careful how you do this) then you most likly have a good bike but you need the carbs cleaned. This showed me that my bike was just fine after its nine year rest-but that those nine years sitting messed the carbs up.

joe82

its alive!
I pulled off the tank and air box top then shot in some starting fluid and it started up. Sounds ok but like you guys said the carbs probably need to be rebuilt.
heres a couple pictures
thanks

louthepou

For a free Vision, that one sure looks great.

Good for you, and welcome to the club!

And indeed, a Vision that's been sitting for a while will be happy with cleaned carbs. Add a few more tasks here and there, and you'll be riding a peculiar, lesser-known, quarter of a century old bike - fun fun stuff.

Cheers,

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

Hi Joe & welcome!

Like Dave said, i just moved from RI at the end of June (no i didn't leave one behind, lol).
I believe you have the only 'running' Vision in the state, but Ed Hoyle, who lives in Warwick has one he's been restoring over the last few years.  where are you there?

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

joe82

Thanks for the welcome

I am in Westerly near the water. The Beaches are nice up here.
Doing a lot of work on the house so not much time to work on the bikes.