News:

Main Menu

mac exhaust and jets

Started by kwells, August 28, 2004, 02:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

I have an '82 with Mac exhaust and was wondering if anyone might know what would be the ideal jets that I should be running. ?I was going to buy the kiester carb rebuild kit but didn't want to purchase the wrong sized jets since I no longer have the original specs. ?Any ideas would be appreciated.
The bike seems to want to die out until I really get on the throttle and then it takes off but until then it wants to stumble...would this be a product of the jets?

kevin
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

I have stock jetting with my Macs. i've run them with both 83 & 83 carbs...  I'm one of those guys who can't tell the difference beween 'light sky blue & baby blue'.. so if I were to fine tune for jetting I probably couldn't tell the diff...  but the bike runs great, and the plug colors look great.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

wolfman

Just cleaning the carbs maybe enough to cure that.  My 82' had MACS on it when I got it and I have since removed them in favor of the factory chamber exhaust (1 pipe on each side) I had a stumble for months until I bit the bullet and just cleaned the carbs really well and then sync'ed them and adjusted the mixture screws.  It was an ongoing battle for a while but it has been worth it as the bike has never run smoother or quieter.

kwells

I have unfortuately had to clean these carbs about 5 times...sounds excessive but ended up having some gunk in my tank giving a perpetual problem.  I know now that I have to resync the carbs...again..I don't have the manometer of the homemade version but hope to this week.   I noticed that one of the o rings on my mixture screw is missing and can't seem to find anywhere that carries an o ring that small. Anyone know where I might be able to get these?

kevin
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com