Visions Rule (as you already know)

Started by Cougar Dave, October 08, 2006, 10:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cougar Dave

After three years of rebuilding, my partially restored (no cosmetic work done yet, so it looks like a POS) '82 Vision was finally ready for the road.  Two "shakedown" rides last weekend, with top speeds of about 50 mph, told me she was ready for bigger and better things.  Yesterday presented the perfect opportunity in the form of Nashville's Angel Heart Farm charity ride (85 miles).  It started about 1/2 mile from my house, so I filled the tank with 93 octane and rode down to see if I could still sign up.  The organizers welcomed me and my $10 with open arms.  The sea of Harley and Gold Wing riders looked like they wanted someone to call the cops and have me hauled off for trespassing.  It only got worse as my full black tank sat in the sun and began to leak profusely from the gas cap as the fuel expanded.  "Hey, man, is your bike supposed to dump gas like that?"  Duh.  I quickly found shade and a shop rag, let it cool off and the leak quickly stopped.  Well, I sure showed them.  One guy, Paul, was nice enough to come over and show interest.  We talked and decided to team up for the ride.  He had a '96 Speedster, an 883cc bored or stroked out to 1200cc.  "You should be able to keep up most of the way", he said, "but we'll wait up at the turns if you fall behind."  Grrr.

We took off following two big new Harleys for about 15 miles, easy 35-40 mph roads.  We finally make a turn onto a long 1/2 mile deserted stretch, and I immediately heard the loud straight pipes of the two Harleys ahead begin to blare, and they took off.  The words of Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery, came to mind as I thought "Yeah, Baby" and opened the Vision up for the first time.  I easily caught the Harleys and had to back off a little, and kept checking the rear view mirror to see if Paul caught up, which he did eventually.  The Harley mystique I had always held was beginning to die, and it continued to do so throughout the ride.  The two lead Harleys stopped off for cigarettes, and Paul and I continued on, swapping the lead from time to time.  We hit several areas of tight twisty turns, and I had to spend a lot of time on the brakes to stay off his rear tire or let him catch up, depending on who was leading.  At one point on the highway (55 mph) we had to pass a wrecker.  Paul signaled a pass and I followed.  Full throttle and Gadzooks!  What a kick from the Vision!  We finally reached the finish, a local biker watering hole.  Paul pulled off his helmet and said, "I thought you said that's a 550.  I couldn't keep up in some of those curves.  And I really nailed it going around that wrecker but never lost you."  Yeah, Baby, it's a Vision.

ProfessorRex

Oh YEA!  That's why we love them! BOOYAH VISION
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Lucky

Da, Da, Da, another one (Harley) bites the dust!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

MotorPlow

I love it. I've been on one poker run and I found that I couldn't ride that slow. I've never been on another poker run.

Tiger

;D :D.....YEAH BABY...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D..... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

glennw

Live to ride (and kick Harley ass!) heheheh..
I must say that is one of my favorite V pastimes.
Good Job Cougar Dave..!
GlennW
Half Mad Max

Superfly

My father in law had the 883 sportster with the 1200 kit in it.  I let him ride my Vision (or my POS Jap bike, as he first referred to it) around the block, and he came back, looked at me strange, and said "that bike has some serious power."   He would never say the bike was any good, but what would he know.. he ownes a harley!  :D
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

Glen, according to Motorplow, for Visionaries it's:
"Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride"   ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

haunter

Quote from: Lucky on October 09, 2006, 03:33:13 PM
Glen, according to Motorplow, for Visionaries it's:
"Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride"   ;D

hahahahaah  :D

I certainly wouldnt entertain ever purchasing a harley unless it was an 883 custom all anondized black, or a similarily fitted VRod, and I hate LOADS of cash to spare
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

ps2/bikevision

thats what i love about the vision. when i first got mine i was carring around a jumper box on the back cause my battery was dead. people would see it and laugh until we hit the road and i would pass all the harleys and run with the sport bikes.