Applegate River/Evans Creek Rd.

Started by Coil Coyle, November 01, 2006, 01:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coil Coyle

I got up a little early Sunday and took a ride through Jacksonville to Grants Pass and returned on Evans Valley Road to the plant in White City.

The V pulled smooth, I just fell into a speed limit cruise mode, the trees changed to their fall colors, winter crept to the stratosphere while the Sun valiantly held the sky for a couple of hours.

From Rogue River the Evans Creek road shaded the sun, the air chilled and the trees kept their fall act going. From Wimer the road is a wonderful Vision twisty and I'll look that way when we start to find a home. I'd rate it a top grade ride to work, right up with Hwy 116 from G'ville to  Amy's Santa Rosa plant.

I'm going to ride it down to So Cal this coming weekend to drop it off and pick up the "Flying Pig" for my winter commuter.

Ahhhh... :)  life is good

Coil

VisionMeister

When the weather is good, maybe nest spring, You have to ride the road to Agness and then follow the river out to Gold Beach.
No services for 85 miles. Make sure the V is in good shape.
Take the first exit north of Grants Pass and follow the road down to the river where you will see the turnoff.
I did this road with Supervision in 94. We went to Gold Beach for lunch and on the return had to stop and remove his carb floats at a picnic area by the river. We headed noth to Powers (about 10-15 miles of dirt) and hooked up with the Hwy to Roseburg ( follows the Umpqua river). Returned  to Medford via I-5 which is fun if you cruise fast enough.
Hope you're enjoying Oregon.

glennw

Ah gee man... you make want to move back to Ashland...... I loved all the roads your were on!
If you ever get the the time... try hwy 66 from Ashland to Klamath Falls...!
GlennW
Half Mad Max

supervision

Dwight was there too, as was Mr. Bob Puffer, those guy's drank beer by the river, while I took the top off the carbs. There was a piece of metal in one of the needle and seats, like a piece of screw thread came dislodged from somewhere and was causing one carb to run over the overflow... gas everwhere.  Got it fixed though, and away we went.  There are many good roads in that area, perhaps we should consider a Northern California Vision Rally up there.
" border="0

X-Vision

Yeah, I'm ready for another rally up north. I'm sure Ron McCoy, and Chris will make that trip.Oh,and that Corbin seat is working great! Thanks for the swap VisionMeister. 

Coil Coyle

Sal and CROV,

Me'n Lori are still trying to sell the house in G'ville.   :-\     
Assuming we have a home up hear early in the year we'd love to host a ride around Jefferson State. There are a lot of nice Vision roads between Redding, Crater Lake and Gold Beach.

I let the rain stop me from swapping the Vision with the "Flying Pig" so know I'm looking at the Vision sitting in fresh snow, hoping for a clear Wednesday/Thursday, my weekend.                               
( "Lord, let there be one good weekend before winter hits the Siskiyou Pass and I promise I won't piss it away this time"  ;D )

Homelessly Grateful,
                                 ;)
                                            Coil

VisionMeister

Read your post in "you may be a visionary if" about the road to Agness.
Didn't know for sure that the Kim family was lost there. But i suspected as much. It seems to happen every year.
When I was still in Portland, about 94 or 95, a guy got stuck out there that didn't have any friends to report him missing. They found him in the spring, mumified in his truck.
I first learned of the road from another visionary, John Clemens, who was road racing a Vision at Portland International Raceway with the OMRRA. John said it was worth it to drone down I-5 for three hours just to take that road.
I first tried it in my car while I was in Southern Oregon on business and had to make it from the coast in to Medford. Won't do that again.
It was great on the Vision. John was right.

Coil Coyle

SV,       
           I actually started up it the day the Kims got stuck, I worked the night after Thanksgiving. The first mile had fresh asphalt, that new kind with the bigger rock size so it drains water through. I only went up about a mile, trying to find another road that headed back Northeast to I5, but it was one lane and I didn't want to meet anyone since I was in the Beachmobile (Donna Marie's old LeBaron convertible) and it's rear view sucks so I turned around.
           It is famous locally for the bodies in the spring. Maybe a late summer ride is best?

Coil

Coil Coyle