What Gives??? Bike Idling at 4500 RPM now

Started by crackerkorean, August 13, 2006, 06:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

louthepou

Some time ago, my red Vision would idle way up high in the RPM range.

After fidling with every screw on the carbs, it ended up being the misadjusted accelerator pump rod.

Ah, the joys of XZ550 carburation.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

crackerkorean

I found out why my sych was way out. You cannot sync or at least I cannot while the front cylinder is not firing. I sucked in some tranny fluid.

I am going to let the bike cool a bit and then yank the carbs.
Will blowing out the pilot circuit with some carb cleaner be enough to clean it out?

The reason i tink its the carb is because the cylinder will fire when revved and pull fuel from the venturi.

Extent

You sure you sucked in fluid because the front isn't firing or could it just be really really out of sync?   Next time take a pair of pliers and squeze down on both sides of the monometer tubing (assuming you're using the home made one) then when it's running slowly let off pressure.  That'll give you time to tighten your grip down and kill the engine if it's really far out.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

crackerkorean

I was able to synch just fine when both cylinders were firing.

crackerkorean

Ok well I stand corrected because you can sync while the front is not firing.
You ask how does he know this?

Well I completly cleaned out the pilot circuits with carb cleaner and air.
You know what I get some exact thing!!!!!!!!!!!

I synced and nothing.
The screws are adjusted 3.5 for each as a starting point.

What the hell is going on what am I doing wrong????? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

crackerkorean

And I just made sure that its not the revv limiter.
I started the bike with just the rear cylinder and i was getting nice blue spark.

crackerkorean

OK seems this is turning into a conversation with my self.

I spoke with my friend and he said there were 4 little holes underneath the butter fly that I did not see. HE said those are the holes where gas comes from for idle.

If thse are blocked and i only get enough to fire when i rip the throttle could these be blocked?

IF I hold the RPMs at 3500 there is no fire not even a lean condition. The carbs are some what synced. When im trying to start the bike and it takes a bit to start the front is pulling alot more than the rear.

Night Vision

Cracker...I'm having a hard time following all the things you have or have not tried... I'm not sure what you or your friends mechanical skill set is, so don't take any offense... 

first.... get back to the basics.... fire and fuel=go

start with fire since you keep saying that front cylinder isn't firing,

is the front cylinder firing or not?

start with a fully charged battery 12.5v+++ or jump to a non running car batt and/or both

pull the plug, put in cap, ground , good blue spark? good go to fuel

weak spark? chuck it... don't just cleaned it.

no spark?
have you checked the plug wire and cap? the caps screw into the wire, snip a tiny bit off, screw cap back on

still no spark?
did you check plug wire connection to coil?
did you clean the coil connection to frame? (ground)

still no spark?
try swapping coils from the firing cylinder

still no spark?
did you cut the right rev limiter wire?

still no spark?still no spark?still no spark?still no spark? to be continued....

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

crackerkorean

Cracker...I'm having a hard time following all the things you have or have not tried... I'm not sure what you or your friends mechanical skill set is, so don't take any offense... 

first.... get back to the basics.... fire and fuel=go

start with fire since you keep saying that front cylinder isn't firing,

is the front cylinder firing or not?
It is not firing. I can keep my hand on the pipes while the bike is running and its cold.
start with a fully charged battery 12.5v+++ or jump to a non running car batt and/or both
Yep its charged and jumped from a car.
pull the plug, put in cap, ground , good blue spark? good go to fuel
Its a blue/purple spark
weak spark? chuck it... don't just cleaned it.
Brand new spark plug.
no spark?
have you checked the plug wire and cap? the caps screw into the wire, snip a tiny bit off, screw cap back on
Snipped on the plug side but didnt mess on the coil side.
still no spark?
did you check plug wire connection to coil?
did you clean the coil connection to frame? (ground)
Where is the ground
still no spark?
try swapping coils from the firing cylinder
Where is the rear coil? I found the front but didnt have a chance to look for the rear one.
still no spark?
did you cut the right rev limiter wire?
No did not cut the revv limiter. I know its yellow but where?
still no spark?still no spark?still no spark?still no spark? to be continued....

JakeC

The rear coil is just on the opposite side of the frame and tucked up in there a little further.  But, you have a nice solid spark, you're saying, so I don't know if that would help.

To get your sync close without a gauge or anything, take the rod off completely.  Make sure the butterflies are closed completely, and not catching on anything.  Loosen up your sync rod and adjust it so that you can put it on with no friction or movement whatsoever of the posts that the rod ends slide over.  This should get you close enough that it will run pretty well, if the sync is the problem.

Jake

YellowJacket!

Where is the rear coil? I found the front but didnt have a chance to look for the rear one.

The front and rear coils are mounted to the frame right across from each other. One on teh left and one on the right.
It is possible that there may be something messed up in the wiring harness causing the coil to not fire at full voltage.
If you need an extra coil, I can loan you my extra "test coil".  (I had a similar problem last year)
David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

crackerkorean

That is one thing that I noticed while I had the carbs off.
One butter fly (rear) was not closing all the way but the front was.

But The sync is close enough to where the bike should run on both cylinders of that was the issue.

JakeC

crackerkorean

JakeC

Quote from: crackerkorean on August 15, 2006, 10:46:56 PM
That is one thing that I noticed while I had the carbs off.
One butter fly (rear) was not closing all the way but the front was.

That sounds mighty suspicious!!  Could you see why it wasn't closing?  It is imperative that these both move freely, and will snap all the way closed when the sync rod is removed.  I would try to fix that first, then try syncing it again. 

Night Vision

even if the carbs are not sync'd right, it should still be able to fire... it might run hot and rough... but still run

if you got fire, then it's got to be fuel...
my gut feeling is your float needle is stuck and the front carb is dry....

edit - loosen the drain screw and see if fuel comes out

Like DaveTN said, wack the front carb body a couple of times and try to "shock" it free.... and/or

concentrate on whether the front carb is supplying fuel or not

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

crackerkorean

No clue why its not closing all the way. I could not tell.

When I had it off of the bike I heard both floats. I will tap on them to see.
Thats one problem of the front carb I cannot loose the front drain screw but I can take the jet out. That should work right?

When I took them off it had plenty of fuel i think.
Where does the fuel for the front acclerator pump come from? The front bowl or the rear? Just curious. If its the front the front bowl is getting fuel.

Lucky

I cannot stress this enough:

if your throttle plates are not closing completely, even one, then you need to fix that first. period.  you have to pull them off, you have to take them apart, you have to examine them, you have to figure out why.......

fixing stuck floats will not help till then, nor will adjusting the pilots or cleaning passages, etc, etc,,,, 

also, it's not the coils, pick-ups, wires, plugs, or any other ignition components...

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) Gotta agree with lucky, 100%, on this one. Pull the carb's off your "V" and check them out on the bench....this will save you a load of grief in the long run.
My $0.02 worth.... ;)

;)       TIGER        8)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!