News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

almost had a heart attack at the DVM

Started by harry_angel69, June 17, 2004, 03:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harry_angel69

I have only had my vision for about a month, and I have been getting everthing lined out.  So today I take it down to do the title thing, and get it inspected.  The police department has to come out to check the VIN (no problem right).  I show him where it is and he looks at it for a minute and says this is not right.  I am just about to pass out when I remember that I checked it when I picked it up in WI.  Get this, the frame number not the VIN, is listed on the title.  This could only have happened when the bike was sold over two decades ago, because you can't change a VIN on a title.  So after 30 minutes of calm conversation (I swear) in the 95 degree heat and 90 percent humdity, he goes and runs everything through.  Has anyone else come accross anything so stupid, or am I the only lucky one.
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

Sable

Hi Harry,

Where to start... In New Hampshire, you only need to have a "VIN Verification" if you do not have a title for a vehicle. I am a police officer here and have had to do many "VIN Verifications" and I can tell you, that the VIN absolutely MUST be have 17 characters, otherwise, it is invalid. Starting in 1981, it was mandated that ALL vehicles have a 17 character VIN.
     I hate to "Monday Morning Quarterback" another officer, but he should have copied the 17 character "public" VIN from the Federal Safety Certification Label (the white sticker by the stearing head), signed the form and sent you on your way. That being said, if your Vision does not have the tag with the actual VIN, an officer would tell you that there is no valid "public" VIN on your vehicle and you must contact the State Police and they would follow up with a further investigation.
     I wish you the best of luck... hope you got everything sorted out  :)

~ Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Bruce

Funny, I ran into the same thing up hear in Alberta. Difference on my Canadian "V" the tag matched the frame number even though it did not have enough digits..

Police cleared it and we got it registered, but it was almost a 3 week process start to finish..

Bruce.

kiawrench

i had and still have the same problem- in south carolina ,the frame numbers were still used to title bikes until mid 1983, so my title reflects the frame number, the registration has the 17 digit and my insurance (geico) was kind enough to issue pocket cards with both numbers on it
   My local officer friendly has sent formal request to yamaha to provide him the build sheet.
This is a one or two page report kept on everything ever built,shipped in,or sold in north america,even canada and mexico.
   this is the form that tells the factory what to put on or in a vehicle as it is built.
 frame number, 17 digit vin, color code and mix ratio, customs declaration and stamps , all the way down to to electrical specifications, checked and signed off by customs ( for imports)
   you may be able to ask a local police officer to assist you in requesting the build sheet from yamaha, (they cant throw them out, ever. ) it may take a few weeks, but you can establish perfect lineage by the build sheet, that is how car buffs prove the level of a restoration, use the build sheets, return to exactly what is listed on the sheet, nothing less is perfect restoration .
I got mine not long ago, it took 7 weeks to get the build data sheet from a yamaha distribution center in california .
I may never need the sheet, but hey, didnt cost anything and it may prove handy some day .
   More important to me, i have copies of every registration and title change on the bike,,, ctsy of state law enforcement officer.... more reason to support my local law officers. sorry so long,, but sharing,,,,,,,,,,,,,

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .