News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

XZ550T

Started by Kid Jedi, October 29, 2012, 09:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Jedi

Well the time has finally come. 8)
I removed the customer bike from my bike lift and put Maeve up for the big overhaul.
Turbo, Titanium exhaust, intercooler, oil cooler, dual disk 4 piston calipers and of course EFI

It feels soo good to FINALLY build something cool for me :D

talk is cheap here are some progress photos

This photo is a before shot
Loves to over think things.

Kid Jedi

After extra piece removal I am beginning the fitting of the turbo and stuff. you can see the pipe, turbo, intake manifolds, & exhaust headers. The turbo is a Garrett GT1241 maps at http://www.turbobygarrett.com
The header pipes are stock Titanium from a Honda 929
the muffler is also titanium from a Honda 954, ti-force aftermarket http://www.tiforce.com/2003/models_page/honda/cbr929rr.html#
the intake is from a Suzuki sv650, but the SV is a 90 degree twin and the vision is a 70 so the bracketing must be all reworked

Kid Jedi

Here are the spare heads (2nd engine) getting ready for porting and lowering the compression ratio for turbo use, there are the calipers as well and a better shot of the headers.

Kid Jedi

here is a quick photo before i cleaned up for the night, of the throttle bodies and one of the spare heads, also check out my rear shock, from a 01 kawasaki zx6, its upside down with the canister cut in to the rear fender.
Planning on dropping the heads of at the machinist to get the exhaust outlets of the heads enlarged 0.1 in to accept the 929 header pipes

Kid Jedi

Parts for trade

Airbox
82 carbs (CLEAN) with rebuilt vacc. pump
Stock exhaust in great shape
center stand
rebuilt brake master cylinder and caliper and s/s line  (RUNNING DOT 5 WORKS F**KING AWESOME!)
stock rear shock (who in there right mind would want this?)
Stock spark computer

Need:
1983 vision right fork leg ( go to dual disk)
Wanted:
Euro Gears

QBS

I'm speechless.  You give all the appearance of being as serious as a heart attack.  Can't wait to see what such power, with Euro gears will handle like.  No doubt there are those amongst us who would volunteer to go first.

Kid Jedi

I want to see 115 at the crank so i can see 100 at the asphalt. I should start seeing boost around 2750 rpm so estimated hp assuming no major design inefficiency is 100 at the asphalt and max boost of 15lbs at 5k. Turbo lag is for chumps

QBS

What compression ratio do you plan to run?

fret not

Have you done anything to the rods?  New and better bearings might be a good investment. (HINT!)

How many miles (Ks) on your motor?

I hope you keep us informed with detailed notes regarding the SV650 EFI conversion.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Kid Jedi

the bottom end has 20k on it, still stock rods ect, i pulled a spare crank and examined it, so i am not worried about it, and i have a spare anyway so it will be fun either way. the sv650 conversion is easy software/tuning side, i have done it once before using the same parts on a vw 1600 build. Microsquirt is awesome.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Kid Jedi on October 29, 2012, 10:24:32 PM
Parts for trade

Airbox
82 carbs (CLEAN) with rebuilt vacc. pump
Stock exhaust in great shape
center stand
rebuilt brake master cylinder and caliper and s/s line  (RUNNING DOT 5 WORKS F**KING AWESOME!)
stock rear shock (who in there right mind would want this?)
Stock spark computer

Need:
1983 vision right fork leg ( go to dual disk)
Wanted:
Euro Gears
Great project.  I want to do EFI, but it's so hard to get throttle bodies etc for a reasonable price it makes the whole trial and error thing impossible.    If you provide enough detail I'll follow along with you. The turbo is also super cool but man those things are expensive.

I think you will need both fork leg lowers - if I remember correctly, the 82 left disk is a different diameter.  The master cyl is different also.

Of course with all that extra grunt you could consider something like R1 disks - I have these on my bike
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=13508.msg131443#msg131443

If you can't find anything locally I can help out with fork lowers, rotors.  Postage will be a killer though - cheapest I can get to US is around $25 a kg.

Kid Jedi

i have the disks and calipers, i just need a fork tube with lower ears to mount a bracket to, i dont feel good tig welging the lowers
as for comprssion i want to only go to 8.5 to one but that way be too high and have to go all the way down to 8.0, or split the difference at 8.25.

I payed about $700 for the turbo
$100 for the throttle bodies
exhaust was a leftover
$85 for the headers
$750 for the ecu with extras
the fuel pump was a leftover
$250 for the wideband o2
shock was a leftover
$300 for the spare engine
$65 for the 4 piston dual calipers with lines
Sport bike master cylinder was a leftover.

The real fun is being at the shop and seeing the bike and not having the free minute to work on it!

calipanda

Wow sounds like an interesting and fun project..wish I had the space/tools to follow along...

fret not

The reports from the folks that actually did major horse power increase and went racing with XZ550s  is the rod bearings need to be changed out for better ones because they don't last very long at all.  There are several threads with that information here on the site.  Since you are spending so much on the equipment it would be a shame to short change your self on such a small item.  Just my opinion. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Kid Jedi

What year did they go racing? Oil has come along way....

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Kid Jedi on October 30, 2012, 05:20:24 PM
$750 for the ecu with extras
Must be one hell of a lot of extras !

jefferson

I was racing mine in the late 90's and was using Amsoil. Two spun bearings on the rear cyl. of 2 different motors. When they get hot this seems to happen.

Jeff

QBS

Would somehow increasing oil pump output help this problem?

Jimustanguitar

I'm sure that retrofitting an oil cooler wouldn't hurt. As long as you kept the pressure and flow up to snuff.

Kid Jedi

will be calculating dynamic compression ratio tomorrow. I guess our bikes run at ~9.0 to one since they run soo good on regular pump gas and the aggressive timing they have. Has anyone figured out exactly what the cam timing is on our bikes?

Oil cooler is a must. The turbo is oil and water cooled, dumping hot foaming oil back in to my case would eat my stator!

Examined the heads  today and got the old gaskets off of them, and started marking out the sections I can remove to lower the compression.

I think I need to remake the intake port. I don't want swirl in this turbo build, pretty sure it would blow the spark out, even with adjustable dwell.