News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

New owner questions

Started by harry_angel69, June 05, 2004, 09:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harry_angel69

Hello to all, I have just purchased a '82 vision and have finally got it running really well.  It only has 15k miles and all of its parts and is in really good shape.  All I need now is a new rear tire and she is ready to go.  I do have a couple of questions if nobody minds answering them I would be grateful.  

It seems to be hard starting.  This may be normal, but when it is cold I have to full choke and turn it over 10 or 15 times before it will start.  It does not seem to be very cold natured, after 30 seconds or so I can shut the choke off, and it runs great.  I ran it pretty hard for about an hour and it never sputtered or even got hot.  I have seen different bikes that this normal starting procedure, but I just wanted to be sure everything is as good as possible.

I also have noticed that it does not do well under heavy acceleration below 3k rpms.  It is acting like it is trying to flood, but a quick down shift and she off like a rocket.  Once again, this may be completly normal for this bike.

I have a custom paint scheme planned, and I was wondering if anybody had ever done a custom instrument cluster.  I am not trying to pick a fight by any means, but the factory one is not that attractive.  I would appreciate any feedback.

thanks
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

nvdranger

Welcome to the site and glad to hear its up and running.  I just got mine there.  I cant help much but the stumble under 3K is normal from what I have read on this board.  Have you synched the carbs?  If not synch them at 1500 rpms and it should cure or at least help the stumble.  These bike are really touchy when it comes to the carbs as I have learned.  If they are not real clean they dont want to run right.
The starting techniques on these bike seem to vary from bike to bike.  I believe (and I may be corrected on this) that the carb synch should help with this as well.  If the carbs are syched at 3k or whatever instead of at 1500 the bike will be harder to start.  If dont have a manometer it will be worth the $40 to get one so you can resynch the carbs whenever if needed.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

h2olawyer

Hi Harry and welcome to the wonderful world of Vision ownership!

It would help to know what you've done so far to get your V running well.  Most Visions, when all is right, are not normally hard starting.  Some do have hot start issues.  Every Vision seems to have its own personality.  Mine fires right up in less than 5 seconds when cold with about 1/4 choke for 10 - 15 seconds then idles fine.

The hard starting & poor low RPM performance could be as simple as a carb synch or as difficult as carb service - disassembly, dip & clean.  Your mixture screws may need minor adjustment.  Try running some Sea Foam with your next tank of fuel.  Start with the simple things and save the carb rebuild for last.

What is your elevation where you live and do most of your riding?  Do you know your jet sizes?  Do you have the vacuum controlled flapper door in your airbox?  Has someone cut holes in the airbox?

Don't worry about ruffling feathers with ideas for personalizing and customizing your Vision!  Bikes are a symbol of individuality and should reflect the tastes and personality of their owners.  I know Ron Ghetti - our fabulous host for this site, Humber and others have done some graphics for changing the backgrounds of the gauges and others have adapted tubular handlebars, changed to round headlight, and probably put on different gauge packages.  Look through the photo gallery on this site and you'll get some ideas.  There are a few fairings both large and small that will work on the Vision and tend to cover the gauge housing, concealing it quite well.

Enjoy your V and feel free to ask about anything Vision related.  You've found a great resource in this site.  There are many very well informed people here who know these bikes and how to make them perform and look their best.  It sounds like you're real close to having everything right with yours.   ;D

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

It sounds like you carbs are  a bit out of adjustment  and may need  to be dipped. know however that a high rpm engine such as the vision's will prefer to wind up if there is work to do . lugging it is  hard on the engine ,
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike