News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Won't start?

Started by Jimmy C., July 22, 2005, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy C.

I had an issue with my bike not starting. I checked the past posts in the forum, and all of the "fixes" made sense to me.
Yes, my starter had a little oil in it. I rebuilt it myself.
  Still didn't start.
The Solenoid had power coming out of the post that the starter wire attaches to. Solenoid good.
  Still didn't start.
If the start button made the solenoid "click" (which we should refer to it as a "vision cricket") then there's power okay there.
The last thing I checked was the WIRE itself. The long, black wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter.
I placed the solenoid end right on the + post of the battery, and my tester was glowing brightly. I place it on the end with the starter....
Weak, throbbing tester light.
Has anybody ever checked the quality of their starter wire before doing hard (but eventually necessary) work?
I mean, I know did all of the troubleshooting backwards. I guess I like a challenge.

I think the wire might be kinked or something. If I get a few good opinions, I'll rip it apart some more.

P.S. How do you post photos in the forum?

Superfly

Recently went through this myself.  when you re-built the starter, did you hook it up to the battery to make sure it works (You probably did, but just checking) 

I have had the wire split before, and the spark was arcing to the engine case.  I would take that wire off and inspect it (it is not that hard).  If there is a split in the wire, it should be replaced.

To post a pic, You need a place to host the pictures, and then look athe the "Add BBC tags:"  on the second row, second button looks like a little picture.  click on that, and it will look like put the image location inbetween the ][ and it will post the picture.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Jimmy C.

Well, well, well. Seems like there was nothing wrong with the wire. Maybe it needed some exercise, because when I took it off, and hotwired the starter with it, the bike fired up. After re-assembling everything, the bike continues to work as normal.
  Maybe the bike was screwing with me.
  Maybe it just wanted its tummy rubbed.
Whatever. It got itself an oil change with Yamalube.
I hope it's happy.