Trip odometer knob replacement

Started by VFan, June 27, 2009, 11:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VFan

Typically, my turn knob for the trip meter was broken when I purchased my Vision. I bought a new knob but I'm having a hard time finding a screw driver that is both long enough and skinny enough to reach that tiny screw. I have a few eye glass screw drivers but none of them are long enough to reach the screw. I haven't been able to find the right driver at the hardware stores either. Where else should I look?

Thanks,
Kent

Rick G

Hobby shops, Model railroaders use them . I have a couple from my Model RR days.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

VFan

Thanks for the tip. I never even thought of a hoby shop but of course they would  :)

YellowJacket!

Radio Shack has some small, long, thin electronics screw drivers that will work.  Good quality and low price.  Also check out Ace HArdware, they have some long skinny screw drivers (sold individually) that will work.  They also have a long one that is great for using when you sync your carbs.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

pinholenz

I just had to do this job. On my XZ550 the removal of the odometer trip knob required a phillips/cross head screwdriver. In the end I ground down the shaft of an old phillips head driver until it fitted.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Jimustanguitar

I siliconed a piece of vacuum tubing to the stem on mine. I've always meant to get the real part, but the tubing has treated me just fine in the meantime.