80w90 hypoid
10 (47.6%)
75w90 synthetic
4 (19%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

squid

Before the season starts, and regular maintence is about to begin, I want some opinions on what have you been using in the rear differential, I was reading the owners manual cause I was bored and it says 80w hypoid, but that was 24 years ago and with todays fluid technolgy change can be good ::) I was thinking about the 75w140 synthetic, from bg industries for 2 reasons, 1. cause I have tons of it ;D and secondly, it seems to be the fluid of choice in new trucks, I am also pondering the 75w90 sythetic more so because it is recommended for more heavy duty applications

Walt_M.

SAE80, the stuff is cheap and it works. I knew a guy who had the rear lock up, the bike was an XJ900 and it put him on his arse(I've been on the Carpe TDM site too long) so I don't feel too much like experimenting. My 2 cents.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Mutt

hummmmm.....yea, not locking up is a good thing. Good advices Walt. Go with what you know works. That's different than if your engine just suddenly dies or your electrical suddenly goes out. Drive train and brakes must work.  :)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Coil Coyle

80W90 Hypoid because it's available and the fishy smell reminds me of autoshop, the only class I didn't dread going to.
;)
coil

jasonm.

I have syn. 75w140 because it covers the most severe applications. And being a 75w it flows when cold. Plus being synthetic you only need to change it roughly every 5 years or 30k miles. The dino stuff should be changed a bit more often.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

squid

;D I know the addicting smell of the autoshop, too bad I went into this trade ?:P should have been a dentist....I hear there are alot of openings ::)
Still trying to decide what to try in the differential though, this is my thinkings,
the capacity of the diff is .21 us quart, and average riding speed is about 60mph, in the heat of the summer it gets around 90F. ?That fluid gets hot in there and has the potential to break down fairly quick, ?We all ponder an oil cooler like luckys to try to save our stators and other obvious reasons, ?I am looking beyond the box, and thinking of the whole drivetrain.

jasonm.

just use synthetic. Plus I have met many people who haven't changed the diff. fluid for 10 years. Yet all is well. I don't recommend that. A quart of $15 syn. 75w140 will last you forever(almost 5 changes). JUST-Don't overthink it...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lead_Deficiency

I use the synthetic 75/90, I can ride for hours and still put my hand on the diff, its just warm, not smokin hot like with the old stuff.