Success!!!

Started by RobTx, December 06, 2002, 12:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobTx

Started her up and sync'd the carbs.  Smooth idle at about 1250 rpms.  Took it out on the street, woohoo!  No hesitation!  Pulls right from idle through about 6000.  (I'm in a sub division so can't really go nuts, no plates or inspection yet.)  But, hey, I'm impressed!  Thanks for everyone's help.  I still have a couple of minor carb issues, but nothing serious.  I'm so happy, this is the best I've ever had a Vision run.  Much better than the 82 I owned 16 years ago.  Now, on to the rest of the stuff, fork seals, cables, swingarm bushings (bearings?).  Where can I find those by the way?  Who wants to go for a ride?  :)  :)   :)
Rob

Cdnlouie

Kudos! Way to go! Now remember to keep yer stick on the ice and don't try any of the dang fool stuff you did 16 years ago.  :P

Dave T.

Nice feeling huh? It took me about a year to get my V runnin' great. But I did much more though.
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

RobTx

Your bike looks great DT.  I have a long way to go, but the engine is running right and that is the main thing for now.  Louie, I know it's cold up there, but there are some things about Canada I like.  Red Green and Stompin' Tom Connors for example.  You guys are nutty.
Rob

jasonm.

There are needle bearings in the frame for the swingarm. But to grease them you must remove the entire rear drive system. Then pull the pivot bolt and sleeve. 3 to 4 hour job...if you have never done anything like this.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

RobTx

Thanks Jason.  I have quite a bit of play in the swingarm.  Do the bearings need to be replaced, the sleeve, or the pivot bolt?  What wears out?  Thanks.
Rob

Lucky

Haven't needed to do mine yet, but it seems common that the pivot, sleave & bearings tend to seize up.  I have no idea on parts availablility, but I plan to do all three anyway, nothing like a good suspension...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

HI Rob, its great that you have it running right , by spring you will be ready for the road . Hey , wait  a minute your in Texas, you can ride as soon as its ready!  
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

I had a good friend in high school who moved to Portals, New Mexico, which isn't too far from Texas, and they would get a hell of a lot of snow in the winter...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

There are shims on the outside of the pivot area. These are under dust caps and seals. They do wear out from lack of grease. These shims if available, are easy to change once all is disassembled. But they come in different sizes(measurement required). Or just flip them over. Also these tend to wear because the bearings often are not pressed all the way in. This causes these 2 hardened surfaces to rub together. After disassembly, Use a straight edge to check if the bearings are pressed in all the way. The right side is easy to do. Just use a socket that just fits and a light tap with a hammer. The left side is tight. I used the rear axle with some dished washers to get mine in that little bit, using a hammer and punch on the axle. Sounds like a lot of work. But once done it something you won't have to touch again. Also use a lot of hi-pressure waterproof grease. Or when disassembled, install a grease fitting at the 6 o'clock postion. Torque the pivot to 56ft/lbs.

RobTx

Thanks Jason.  Just one of the many things that need to be done to get the bike in good shape.  Since getting the carbs straight, the most pressing thing is the starter clutch.  Sounds like someone is shaking a can of rocks when I start it, at least those times it turns over the engine and doesn't just spin.  Then the forks seals, they leak so badly it's not even funny.  Then the pivot.  Bike should be in great shape then.
Rob

jasonm.

Don't wait on the starter clutch. There comes a point when the threads in the flywheel get wasted. Then a flywheel will need to be bought. Or a really good machine shop can fix it.