News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Boogered Master Cylinder Screws

Started by Re-Vision, June 10, 2010, 12:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

What is the best way to remove boogered screws from master cylinder cover?   BDC

kwells

Impact driver.  I usually put a c clamp on the center of the MC cover and squeeze it down as much as possible.  Can hammer a good driver down into the chewed screws to get a better seating too if you don't have an impact.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

I had to remove one when I rebuilt mine.  I took a drill bit the same size as the screw (not the head, but the shaft) and slowly drilled out the center.  The head popped off and I was able to remove the cover without any problems.  After that, there were plenty of threads on what was left of the screw to grab it with vice grips and unscrew it.  Go slowly, with a slow RPM.

Brian

QBS

Another option is to use a sharply pointed drift/punch and hammer to drive the screw head around in counter clockwise direction.  I reassembled the cover using socket head screws.

Brian Moffet

Have you removed the top?  I had at least a 1/8 inch available.

Brian

Raj1988

Drill a small hole in the head and use a screw extractor. they are reverse thread drill bits that bite into the screw and back it out. quite cheap at local store!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

tnutcher

I had the same happen to me, not enough to grab with a vise grips, but got lucky.  Drilled out the center with a 1/16th bit, tapped down on them with a small philips screwdriver and hammer and made enough of a mark/indention to grip with the screwdriver and just screwed them out easily.  Sometimes the head is holding all the pressure and when it gets drilled off, there isn't anything forcing the screws to be stuck and you can turn them like a well lubricated screw.  Good luck
TNutcher

Kiwi

You could try cutting the top of what's left and using a flat head scree driver.  I found on mine that the head was what was stuck,  not the shaft of the screw
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

h2olawyer

After trying the above stuff, and if the shaft is still stuck, give it a shot of PB Blaster and let it sit an hour or so.  If it is still stuck, try applying some heat to the M/C near the screw holes - use a heat gun if you have one.  The heat might bugger the paint, but repainting a M/C isn't a big deal.  If all else fails, usable 82 M/Cs aren't difficult to find.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

Good ideas above, if you don't want to bugger the paint, try soaking in Pblaster, and then shoot a blast of compressed air upside down on the screw itself.  That will cool it off quickly.

Be careful though, the stuff will give you frostbite.

Brian

Rick G

I always replace master cylinder screws with either pan head screws or socket head (allen) screws. the counter sunk ones are nothing but trouble.  Drill the head off of the screw and remove the stub with your fingers,( after removing the cover)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

holler all you need to, thats why we're here! :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black