News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Handling 82 vs. 83

Started by artbone, September 17, 2009, 11:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

My 82 seems to handle better than my 83. By that I mean it seems to have quicker steering and just feel more "sporty" than the 83. The 82 had the higher handlebars and more forward footpegs and the little sport fairing. The 83 has the full fairing, which I suppose could affect the handling by adding a lot of weight to the front end.

Discuss. I know someone wants to give me the benefit of their experience on this subject.

Art
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Brian Moffet

It's amazing how the steering changes feel when you lean more on the handle bars.  The higher handle bars would keep you from doing this, and that would make a difference. 

Try this experiment, take the 83 out and support your weight with your knees against the tank, rather than with your arms.  You want to have your hands just resting on the handlebars.  Then see what the handling is like.  This will keep your body from putting in too much resistance, which can feel like the bike resisting.

My seat is cut low, even though I am 6 foot 1, which allows me to ride like this almost all the time.  It's harder when braking of course  ;D

Brian

Tiger

:) Do they both have stock ball bearings in the steering or are one/both upgraded to tapered roller bearings... :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

A significant reason for the difference in the feel of responsivness is that the '82 doesn't have to move/control the mass of the factory fairing as the chassis changes lean angles.  Brians' input is also very much a part of the mix.

Walt_M.

And don't forget the front tire size. The '82s have a 90/90 18 stock and the '83s have a 100/90.
Whale oil beef hooked!

artbone

After reading the replies I've come to the conclusion that you are probably all right. Each thing contributes a little to the end product. I think I'll take the seat and fairing off and ride it like that and see if there is any difference.  Also, when it's time for tires I'll go to the smaller size and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all your answers.

Art
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Lead_Deficiency

I think you should consider the rotational mass of the 82's single larger rotor that is offset vs the 83 's  twin rotors which would make the handling more balanced

but what do i know :-\

YellowJacket!

Does gthe 82 have tapered head bearings and the 93 doesn't?  Could also be tire pressure and even a difference in the brand of tires between the two.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

artbone

Quote from: YellowJacket! on September 20, 2009, 09:30:51 AM
Does gthe 82 have tapered head bearings and the 93 doesn't?  Could also be tire pressure and even a difference in the brand of tires between the two.

David

They both have tapered rollers but the brand of tire could be a factor.

Art
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650