News:

Main Menu

83 vision in NY $500

Started by d0n, July 11, 2007, 11:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Kickstand, three ratchet tie downs. Theres your wheel chock!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

firstone

Tried that, made me just a wee bit nervous.  The front wall of my trailer is not supported in the center and it took a bit of creativity to get things snugged down safely.  It also took a different route back to lessen the impact of the concrete expansion joints.  The wheel chock was on my to-do list, just needed a good reason to move it to the top!

inanecathode

Sable

As mutch as I hate to trailer my V, and I only had to do it once when I moved. All of my friends were at work and I couldn't drive my truck and ride the V at the same time. I was able to get a u-haul motorcycle trailer for 20 bucks for the whole day. 

I'm only 200 miles away from you... My problem was the $500.00. If I had it, I would have been there this weekend!

John
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Scott_Mc

[/quote]
Quote from: firstone on July 13, 2007, 09:08:40 PM
Hi Don; I ordered the wheel chock, should be in some time this upcoming week.  Meanwhile I think I will reinforce the sides of my trailer and use some much larger bolts to bolt the wooden portions to the frame.  ;D  I'll give you a call to set up.

Firstone,  you know I thought of you for this bike seeing as you told me your original had a fairing.  I thought though the one you got from me would satisfy your urges.  Apparently not :P

As far as the trailer?  Forget about the sides.  Tying ropes over the sides is really not a great way to do it.  Get some heavy duty eye bolts and bolt them through the floor of the trailer into the main frame.

A set of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170108433838&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007 will help to reduve shipping damamge.  If you inisist on trailering on the center stand (which I'm against) be sure to support the stand as we did on mine.   There is a lot of force on those two points especially after she's strapped down. 

Good luck!!  Don't part mine out! :o!!

Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

QBS

Do NOT trailer on center or side stand!

firstone

Made my home depot trip this afternoon and picked up the eye bolts for the tie down points.  This should eliminate the need to tie anything to the sides of the trailer at all.  I am however curious about not trailering on the center stand.  It seemed to me that if you compressed the front suspension into a wheel chock and centered the bike side to side the center stand would provide you with 2 of the 3 points of a stable triangle.  The back end would still need to be strapped side to side to prevent it from swinging around, but otherwise should be OK.  Is there some point I'm missing?

Aelwulf

I  just usually use two tie-downs on the handlebar area and ratchet 'em down against the front of the truck bed.  If you have an open trailer true at least one more tie-down would likely be needed.  I personally wouldn't use the center stand.  With my luck it'd find a way to drop over a bump whereas I've had the back wheel hop up a little and settle back down just fine.  I wouldn't use the side stand (except perhaps to hold it while I get one of the tie-downs started, although I can usually do so without it) since mine flips up fairly easily if the bike isn't resting on it fully (not THAT easily :P ).  Best and probabyly safest way to do it and be able to forget about it would be using the tie-downs and testing it for movement after.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

zore

My trailer has a 10 dollar wheel chalk on it.  I put some eye bolt son it and use some rached tie downs.  Don't use a kick stand or center stand as you'll destroy either the kick stand or the bed (ask me how I know).  If you want to get fancy, get one of those canyon dancer bar straps.

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

QBS

With the center stand down, every shock and bounce that the trailer experiences is transmitted directly to the bike frame through the center stand.  In effect, the full weight of the bike will be bouncing up and down on the stand.  There is the distinct possibility of frame and or, at the very least, damage to the stand mechanism.  Side stand is the same basic deal, with the added possibility of stand retraction.  In all likelyhood the stand would end up bent.

If the front end is properly secured, in theory, you don't need to tie the back end down.  But rather, just tie the back wheel from both sides to eliminate side to side travel.  This is how I tied my '83 for years, until H20 and Ron McCoy recently showed me how much more secure it was to tie the back down similar to the front.  That's how I do it now.  Thanks Robert and Ron.   Cheers to all.

ColinthePilot

I've had mine riding in my truck on 2 occasions. each time 2 ratchet straps; front wrapped around the trees and hooked to the hardpoints on each side of the bed, rear wrapped around the passenger handles and hooked on the other two hardpoints. had it in there for a week, it barely moved. if its going to be in there more than a day (i.e. moving more than 1000mi) don't put your ramp board under it. (my bike ended up about 30deg off because the ramp was under the rear wheel and it shifted over 1500mi.)
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

inanecathode

Ok first off, am i the only one who sees that picture? It must be early because i think i'm going crazy already o_o

What i meant really, after i thought about it, is i dont use the side stand actually, its down, but it doesnt touch the ground. I plant the front wheel in the corner of the bed, tie down one end of the front to one side, the other to the other side, then the same with the back. I then suck it down till the suspension bottoms, evening it out so its floating straight up

Night Vision

Quote from: inanecathode on July 16, 2007, 07:59:31 AM
.....I then suck it down till the suspension bottoms, evening it out so its floating straight up

careful transporting a cycle with the forks bottomed or compressed a lot.... you can blow out the fork seals
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

When I trucked my bike back home from Paso Robles (3 hours drive maybe?) I had it strapped down front and back, and the center stand was down.  The front forks were compressed quite a bit, and the rear was strapped horizontally. It was in a rental-truck, and was not the best one for transporting a motorcycle.  However, if anyone has been on 101 in California, it's really flat and straight. 

I didn't have any problems, other than it was pouring rain at the time...  My fork seals were as good as they were went the bike went in, which is to say they still needed replacing  :)

If I had a perfect situation, I would have a channel to put the wheels into, tie down the front and rear so that the suspension was compressed (not completely, but a lot), and the center stand and kickstand would be up.

Brian

Aelwulf

When I put it in the truck I try not to compress the forks more than about halfway.  The only time I do more is if it seems like one side won't tighten enough to keep it from slacking on a turn then I might ratchet it down a bit or two more.  I've had it in the truck with just the front tie-downs for over a week before no problem.  Now that I know the bed will close (although not easily) it stays real well since the back tire fits in one of the grooves in the inner tailgate.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

d0n

Maybe I'll just keep it.

just kidding!  ;D I found the title and have all the other paperwork. She's ready to go. I got my helix scooter running and on the road to day. The new engine is great!

firstone

Just got through bolting the sides and installing the eyebolts in the trailer.  I have a ship notice on the wheel chock and straps too.  Hopefully the USPS and UPS can hold up their end of the bargin.    ;D 

Riche

I'm with QBS on not using stands while trailering. My experience trailering dirt bikes for many years. If your trailer rides rough/bounces a lot you had better compress the front forks nearly full or full. My Ossa had a strap end come off because the forks compressed enough in a bump to allow the hook room to release from the eye. Plus I always secured the rear wheel from side to side. In my case the trailer had rails with no decking so I just tied or straped the wheel so it didnt' jump out of the rail. If you can I suggest compressing the rear suspension some wiht straps. Good luck with your trip and congrats on getting a nice bike.

zore

I had my monster on the kickstand when i strapped it down one year.  I wear the kickstand to a nub on the trailer.  Using the center stand or kick stand is a bad idea and not needed if you strap it down properly.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

zore

...or you stick a miller light can to your head.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900