News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

I loved here BUT she was unfaithful.

Started by akvision, May 12, 2010, 01:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akvision

When I returned from my Rhpaw ride... I traded the AKBluVision for a Beemer .  I just want .......?????

Didn't you guys notice..? my profile below.

AKVision

1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

QBS

Raj1988

Hope the BMW lets you "Ride more, fix less"
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

akvision

Thanks, Bob... you will get to see it next spring... we are on again for the ride to the Barber Speedway... and the following year will be the RFAR ride to Key West..

Raj,
You will witness the Gertie (RFAR2) when we do the Cassiar in August.

I will keep hanging around... and I enjoy the circle of friends here.

We will see about Visionary Fade way...

Anyone want a Haynes manual? 
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

QBS

akvision

1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Night Vision

i had a feeling when I saw you unloading the hoard...

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

akvision

Thanks for the comments..

My 750 is coming out of my shop tomarrow and coming up for a street test, and the 500 goes back for a colonostipy or some thing like that.
Clutch is about gone..
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

don_vanecek

Ah man, I suppose this means I need to cancell my trip to Alaska!

Just kidding, do hope to perhaps take the V up to Minneapolis once and to the east end of Iowa, afraid no Alaska trips in the works.

Said before, say it again, the Vision is the best mid size BMW that BMW did not make, can easily see why the move up to that nice Beemer!

QBS

AK, how many miles and what year?  Do you see the potential need for Heli-Bars yet?

How similar is it to a well sorted '83 V?

akvision

The V has it's place and should not be meligned.. It is a great bike and goes like stink and is smooth as butter.. I have owned a CB550-4 and  the V is every bit as smooth and way faster.  I like the design.. no chain, water cooling, monoshock and good brakes.. I hate the fuel delivery system and electrics.
Miles were 10700, now about 11100. Model 2004 R1100S with power brakes and ABS.. has set backs, rubber tank protectors, adjustable damping front and rear.. great torque curve from 3k rpm up.. a bit buzzy at around 4k and up.  stops really good... no dive with the telefork system. starts and runs with a touch of the button..  With the V as a trade in I paid 4.8K.. I thought I got a steal of a deal.
No cosmetic or visible flaws.. they threw in a Dunlop front tire. held the sales tax because I'm from Alaska and held the doc fee to $100.
I got a sweat deal... they got the refurbished "BluV", I just could not go on wondering what was next to........ will you start "honey, please, and take me home??? with out complaint!!!      Like the bi-line... "I loved here but..."

Handles like a dream.. weighs in at +500 but feels light.. manuvers well at slow speeds... a bit high for short legs..but who rides with there legs on the ground.   I always had to struggle with the slow speed manuvers of the V... It wanted to fall in to slow speed turns. 
This bike has a completely different character..slow speed if very confident and easy.  First gear is way tall.. 20 to 25 mph at 3k rpms.
It will go 45 in first with out any complaint.. shifting takes some finesse.. to do with out a jerk.. the clutch is dry like a car.
It snicks in to first and jumps to second..takes some getting used to...

Gobbs of torque.. 95 hp and 90 something of torque ft lbs.. once you get to 3k on the rapid meter..good by.....

The bike is heavier than  a V so the feeling is different and the telelever front anti dive is way different.. but very sure footed..I have been getting 48 to 52 mpg on the bmw and the "V" consistants at 45 to 48 mpg in the same riding style.

The "v" is at its best at 60 to 65 mph.. smooth and solid and still has go power.

I'll hang around and be faithful.
akvision

What are Heli-Bars??
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Walt_M.

When I bought my V in May of '83, at a friend's bike shop in Ohio. I rode it home to north Florida with another friend on his BMW R100RS. We had rain for the first 100 miles or so but not bad after. When we stopped for dinner outside Macon, GA. we had travelled 600 mi with 250 left to go. I was ready to go on but the cast iron saddle and 50 lb throttle spring on his BMW had him ready to stop. I had ridden his bike and knew I wouldn't trade him even. They may be better but I still don't want one.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

AK Thanks for the great report.  Sounds like you're in lust.  Good for you!  Heli-Bars are aftermarket risers that are very popular with the BMW touring crowd. 

don_vanecek

"The "v" is at its best at 60 to 65 mph.. smooth and solid and still has go power"

I'll agree with that, remember we were deep into the 55 mph speed limit at the time these bikes came out with no end in site, otherwise I hope Yamaha would have given us the european gearing. After my V was awaken from it's 8-9 year slumber it came out onto the new world of 60-75 mph speed limits and I don't get the mpg I used to get in the "can't drive 55" days, I can legally drive speeds now that only the most daring person drove in those days. 

First year or two after I got it going again didn't really like to drive faster then 65 or so but time has now passed and I will/have spendt a few hours holding 75-80 with no problems, but I will still find myself searching for another gear to shift into! 

rhpaw

Like I mentioned in the trip report, the Vision probably wasn't the best machine for "park for a year, ride 2000 miles", repeat.....
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

QBS

Well done Jim!  The bikes appears to be an excellent fit.  The ergonomics look a lot like an '83 V.

Don V: You're absolutey right about the V easily sustaining 80+ speeds.  I've spent many an hour there.  This area of V performance will probably never really be appreciated except by riders of faired Vs.  An unfaired V would easily perform in this way, but the rider would tire long before the gas ran out.

rhpaw

Here's another one.. We were drinking Evan Williams that night.
It has the undertail exhaust, single armed swingarm and heated grips on risers w/cruise control.
It's much bigger than my Buell. Roughly the same size as the V.

I have only driven it around the block. (so far)
:angel:
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

akvision

Yes, it came with risers... thank goodness.. the adjustment is back and up a bit.

Thanks for all the comments, they are all appreciated.  Here is the deal... I will always remain loyal to the 'Vision' of the Yamaha ZX550.

I kept the Alaska plate and it now resides in my shop proudly displayed on the wall.  This is a great connection here and I plan to keep monitoring it.

I have grand plans to do the ride of my life in 2012, starting in Ketchikan to KeyWest up to Deadhorse ( Prudoe Bay) and back to Ketchikan.   I hope to meet some of you along the way.
Jim
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

fret not

AK, that is a classy looking bike!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we all think you will. :laugh: 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!