Few interesting developments

Started by wolfman, September 30, 2003, 05:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

First of all my LEFT turnsignals have decided they don't want to flash. The RIGHTS work fine, and the lefts WILL flash when the engine is OFF key ON (pre ride check) but when the bike is moving, the third or so time I hit left, it does not flash. (Right works fine regardless)  She actually quit on me on the way to work at an instersection today, and refused to start...I was like what the F***!  until I looked at the trip Odometer which was at 147 miles...switched to reserve and she fired right up.  So I am also wondering when you guys hit reserve..it took 3.28 gallons to fill up the tank for a calculated MPG of 44.8...sounds a little low, although I do let it warm up several minutes before riding.

kiawrench

sounds like you have a ground problem,, check grounds, make sure all a bright and shiny ,, secure wires, then apply thin coat of clear nail polish to keep moisture out of ground connections,,
mine did that for a few days ,, but cleared up after regrounding every thing possible and coating
 ;D
  oh,, check spark plugs, and add about 1/4 can seafoam to the next tank of gas,,, sort of clean up the fuel system,,, before i lost starter clutch i had my miles figured at over 50 ,in the city --- lil tune up never hurt any way
and be sure choke is actually coming off when in off position,,, that will eat up some gas and make run sort of lopsided , esp at med to high speed
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

CH3NO2

I don't switch to reserve till 180 miles. I get 52-55 MPG.

Al

Rick G

I did 211 miles on the 4.5 gallons . mostly freeway. I forgot I was on reserve and ran out accross the intersection from the only gas station in 2 miles , Some one was looking out for me  . That was 46 mpg  at mostly 6500 rpm and above.
On my receint trip it went  265 killometers on 3.10 gallons , now if I can get one of the Canadian or European guys, to tell me that in miles, I'll be all set. By the way, the KPH clock I put on is dead accurate  on speed ,unlike all the 85 mph clocks I seen , that got more inaccurate the faster you go.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

tryder

I've never had the opportunity to hit reserve. I've had my V for @ 10mos. and even on longer trips I've either had gas stops often or carried an extra gallon on the back. It still seems like I've only gotten it up to @130 miles before the needle's down in the red. But like I said I haven't run it dry. A lot of the places I ride...if I totally ran out I could be sitting on the side of the road all night.

Walt_M.

Mid 40's is about right on mileage. The fuel gauge on the '83s is pretty pessimistic. I am working on a little fuel gauge calibration that I hope to correct that. I am usually in the red by 110 miles. I am hoping to change that to around 140-150 and need to switch on reserve when I get there. I'll let you know how it works out and how to duplicate it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

In the 19 years I've had mine, I finally hit reserve for the first time this summer.  It was while I was fine tuning the carbs so there was lots of idling time involved.  I was out on a test ride and the trip odometer showed 125 miles.  On normal fillups, I seem to average 43 to 46 mpg, depending on how much fun I'm having ;D.  On longer rides, I can't seem to stay comfortable for more than 100 miles at a time so I use the stretch time to fill the tank.  It's amazing how many of the towns west of me, into the mountains, are between 90 and 110 miles away.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

glennw

My 82 won't go past 130 without reserve....

Based on the mileage some of you guys get....

I must be a real rabbit....... or maybe that's a squirrel.....

I know they are old bikes but what's the point if you can ride 'em hard once in a while!

glennw
Half Mad Max

wolfman

After chasing the electrical gremlin in the left rear turn signal for a couple of weeks now, checking all connections, including at the flasher and finding them all sparkling clean, the left turn signal still acted up intermittantly.  That is until I removed the bulb and cleaned (sanded slightly actually) the bulb's cener contact.  Problem solved.  As to why it decided to act up when it did, I think it was punishment from my wife (through God) for spending way too much on that full fairing and still being way too pleased with myself for getting and mounting it.

Lucky

at least you finally found it!  it's the simplest of things that will kick your ass..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Dave T.

Quoteat least you finally found it! ?it's the simplest of things that will kick your ass..

Bwuha ha ha ha!! Ain't that the truth... LOL

I got rid of the stock turn signals, and they are 10W lamps instead of the 27W stock ones. But the flasher didn't work. The flasher is set up to open and close the contacts with a certain load on the output. I had only 23.4W, and the stock flasher is made for  27 + 27 + 3.4 watts. Also my self cancellation unit didn't work either (it still may be bad, the reed switch should have taken care of that). So I went to Radio Shack and got 2 10W, 10 ohm resistors ($1.69) soldered them in parallel and soldered them to the "L" terminal on the flasher to ground. Now it works. This added 33.4W to the load.

Too bad I can't ride now cause it snowed here yesterday...  :'(
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

kiawrench

wolfie,,
   you just think your fairing got you in trouble.....
  so far, i have been stopped by half the older cops in town, asking where i found the old police bike,,,(vision was chosen in early 80s due to price issues, later switched to interstates, then to bmw hawgs).
    Wife decides-he got a fairing, i get new set of wedding rings  and another boston terrier,  then set of tires for the roadmaster,,,   .    
     have just got the sweet lil thing on and already looking at working about 30 hrs overtime, and have a honey- do list about 4 ft long...
  still,,, all of that is worth it. fairing looks good, and will soon get new shield, with three inch extension(when your old one gives up, until then- it aint broke so i wont fix it,, lol

my fairing worth all of it,,,lol   now if paypal and i can fix our little differences,,,,,,,,,,,
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rick G

Thats about right , Dave, early November I used  to tip toe over to  the gas station, about 2 blocks away and top off the the tank , for the big sleep .Believe it or not , I sure miss  Minnesota.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike